OT: Nothing to hide..

DVLA never receives personal details of 6,000 drivers, all from Northern Ireland this time. Might want to add that to the list of reasons why you don't want government databases on you or your kids...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It beggars belief that after the uproar over recent weeks they still send it by a general carrier (Parcel Force in this case) and don't encrypt the data.

Anyone want a bet that no government heads will roll over this? Some poor junior civil servant will be required to fall on his/her sword and take the rap .. again!

Reply to
SteveG

You mean they can't even do that right?

Reply to
GbH

The report I saw in The Register said that they were details which were going to be forwarded to manufacturers for vehicle recalls, which I suppose is a routine job, unlike the Child Benefit fiasco.

And, as a routine job, it seems weird that they haven't taken measures to further minimise the risk if the disks are lost in transit. It's still info that could be misused, and as a regular process between known offices, you'd think they could set up decent encryption. It doesn't even need public key systems.

But it makes you wonder about paying DVLA over the internet.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I wonder why the hell they can't transfer the digital media securely by... well by secure digital transfer. If a mere mortal like myself can set up a VPN and transfer sensitive data securely you would hope the government with all it's resources could apply the same technology.

Gotta be far more secure than bloody carrier pigeon or whatever!

Ho hum.

Reply to
Pet - www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Ah, it's not secure though, unless the software was made by an approved firm and the source code has been inspected by government staff. If they were to use a VPN that's not been inspected, it might lose data you know! *cough*

Reply to
Ian Rawlings