OT: PDAs

Am toying with the idea of buying a PDA for work, along with sat nav. Any recommendations comments? Currently looking at a hp 4700 with TomTom or a Dell Axim X50 Bluetooth GPS.

Secondly am looking at getting broadband. Complete novice to the whole thing, so any information, experience or suggestions would be welcome. TESCO one seems to look good £19.97 a month for unlimited access at 512k...

Many Thanks

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Go with the HP/TomTom Combo with a BT GPS. Many reasons why it is better than the second choice not least of which is TomToms support for custom POIs and the excellent UKPostCode Plug-in from

.

As for Broadband, I can happily reccomend Plus.Net, they may not be the cheapest but they're close, have superb Technical Support and bundle useful extras such as 250Mb web space, Fax to Email etc in the basic price.

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

Am toying with the idea of buying a PDA for work, along with sat nav. Any recommendations comments? Currently looking at a hp 4700 with TomTom or a Dell Axim X50 Bluetooth GPS.

Secondly am looking at getting broadband. Complete novice to the whole thing, so any information, experience or suggestions would be welcome. TESCO one seems to look good £19.97 a month for unlimited access at 512k...

Many Thanks

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Am fairly new to all this , so I might keep coming back with questions for a bit (albeit stupid ones). I was leaning towards the Dell

as I've always got on with Dell products well (using Dell pc) and with all the options added, on initial impression it looked to have higher specification. The hp does look good, but I felt that it lacks some of the spec of the Dell, I might be wrong. Second reason was price, hte all singing all dancing Dell with 1024mb compact flash, 614mhz processor etc 3 years exchange warrenty, 3 years accidental damage, nav software, BT GPS and all car gubbins came out at £710. The hp is £430, plus TomTom at ~£200, plus 1Gb SDM ~£120 which comes to £750 and its still only got 2yrs warrenty, or am I missing something?? As I said I'm new to this so feel free to point out glaring omissions. Perhaps I've just managed to end up at the expensive stores.

Ta I'll have a look, although "not the cheapest" is slightly off putting. Can't really justify broadband, as only use internet in evenings, and rarely for business, but I thought if I could do it cheaply, then I might go for it. Still I suppose as with most things in life you probably get what you pay for.

Many Thanks Indeed

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Don't forget that price should never be the sole arbiter, service counts for a lot and a dirt cheap broadband service is of little use if it's off line and you can't get through to technical support.

As for the PDA query, I reccomended the HP because they have had far fewer compatability issues and TomTom is a much better Navigation solution. The Dell may be cheaper but once you discover you dislike the software bundled with the Dell you'll understand why!

Alternatively but the Dell and GPS Nav Packages seperately. Dell uses the Intellinav/Deluo Routis product reviewed on our site, compare the two and make your own decision.

Reply to
Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld

Ok, fair comment. Will have to look into this further I think. How can you tell whether a service prvider is going to be any good? Is there a website or something that I could compare them? What key things should I be looking/asking for?

Really I was just going with a brand that I had experience with, not the best argument I agree. So I want a powerful PDA (614mhz, 128+mb RAM, 1Gb+ memory, etc.) with a good navigation system that is as portable as it can be with as few wires as possible, what would you suggest? I don't know whether it makes any difference, but I also have a road angel (new type) in the car. Had thought about linking that up for the GPS, any suggestions.

I'll have a look, trouble is, all this is foreign ground at the moment, so its difficult weighing the systems up.

Thanks

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Everything you need to know (and a lot more!).

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Thanks!!

Reply to