OT Points and insurance

Bugger it. Just collected my first ever points for speeding - on the M62 at Liverpool - 65 in an apparently 50 limit. (not in a 101)

And its insurance renewal time. Are three points going to make much of a difference ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

No - they almost expect you to have three! Jon

Reply to
Jon

Indeed, for speeding it isn't going to make much difference. Everyone and their Gran has a speeding ticket now-a-days.

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Highly unlikely, but depends on the insurer. Liverpool and Victoria (very cheap for RR's) don't even ask how many points, as long as you haven't had a ban they don't penalise you at all. (They also don't charge extra for LPG, or ask to see a certificate)

Reply to
SimonJ

Aint had one in ten years, as i dont speed!!!

Nige

--

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob) FOR SALE!!! Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

'"I don't remember asking you a goddam thing"

Reply to
Nige

Even though Gran hasn't actually driven a car for the last 10 years!

Reply to
SimonJ

...and Matthew Maddock spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Got a quote off Saga a couple of years back and asked if three points would make a difference. The lady told me that if I didn't have at least three I would be the odd one out. And that's from a company that deals with the over-50s! Made me feel a bit better.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I've never had a single point, let alone three, in 29 years of having a full licence.

If "everyone" has 3 points I feel I ought to be getting a discount on my insurance for bing so good.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Oh Dave...thats tempting fate a bit!

Gatso points come in three's... at least at the lower end of the scale. So say for instance you drove the A34 (named gatso alley by Top Gear presenters) from South Staffs to North Staffs with a faulty speedo you could be banned several times over.

Well done though you are a stirling example to motorists.. and I mean that, I too was once proud of my unblemished licence.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I guess so but now I drive a LR (all be it a Disco II TD5 ES7) my top speed is about 65. On most roads I trundle along at 60 max, on motorways and dual carriageways I set the cruise to about 62mph and just bowl along. That is fast enough to make decent time and fast enough to get past the heavies limited to 56 at a reasonable rate.

I hope to keep it that way, previously I have been a little lucky. I have had the double flash a couple of times (nothing ever arrived on the mat) and been stopped but I don't argue, come clean, and play the "I'm very sorry officer". Mind I've not been going particulary over the limit on those occasions. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You could get banned driving from newcastle to stone if you were unlucky :( (around 10 miles at the most)

I remember when (a lot of) that road used to be derestricted and clear but now its dropped to 60 (and 30 in places) and has blossomed lots of camreras :( I'd put money on it dropping again too over the next few years :( That road is a perfect example of revenue generating cameras (the bit out of town anyway). A clear, rural dual carriageway with hardly any houses - it was fine at 70.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Hear hear! I used to go to work at Rists that way. Speed limits like that just bring speed limits into disrespect. It took about a week for everyone to learn where the cameras are a get back to normal... The best bit though was the "campaigner" in who lives/lived in Tittensor at the time they were introduced - being remarkably vocal in demandng cameras be put up she promptly got 6 points in one day......from the new cameras in Tittensor. Smart woman.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

You could get done on the A657 Leeds Road inbetween my house & Shipley (a mile) there are 8 (yes, 8) cameras. Utter madness & they are in the wrong place too!! My wife has managed to get copped twice in one week ffs!!! How, i will never know!!

Nige

--

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob) FOR SALE!!! Range Rover 4.6 HSE (The Tank!)

'"I don't remember asking you a goddam thing"

Reply to
Nige

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Well I did hear some news that the Cameras were going to have to be re-assessed every so often and removed if there was no longer any proportionality in their being there. This is a double edged sword really because those revenue generating cameras which are there for no other reason will have to be pulled, but also the genuine ones which help stop road deaths / injury will also get pulled until there are some more injuries / deaths to justify their reinstatement , go figure!

The best bit of news I've heard though is that they will all have to have the speed limit for that area printed on to the back of them in some form or another, which should remove alot of guess work and heavy braking which people do in unfamiliar areas.

I got nailed at 53mph in what had the previously been a derestricted area, the sun was in my eyes so I was concentrating on the vehicles in front rather than the road furniture...... not that I'm bitter, much.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

...and Lee_D spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Me too. I had a clean licence for 24 years (after a couple of pulls when I was young and stupid), but since then I have had points on it. First was a Gatso on a deserted A-road mid-evening, then a month after the points from that came off, I was nabbed by a Scamera van 5m inside the signs at the end of a village. Both times a few mph over the limit, both times when the road was deserted. The thing is, when I had a clean licence I tried really hard to keep it that way. Now I've got 3 points, I wouldn't be that bothered if I had 6, or even 9 - as long as it didn't affect my insurance I really couldn't care any more. I've lost all respect for the system.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

As I high-mileage driver it goes with the territory, although my licence has been clean for some years. I'm very obedient of speed limits in built up areas, but could very easily cop a straight-out ban on the motorway one of these days. I'm not proud of the clean licence, but I'm very proud to have nearly half a million miles under my belt without a single accident (apart from the RAV4 that piled into the back of me whilst I was stationary).

It comes down to 'appropriate speed' and 'appropriate distance'. Cameras can't measure that. Sadly we are now using them as the primary method of policing the roads (read 'taxing motorists'), so tailgaters, unroadworthy vehicles, drunks, druggies and basic piss-poor drivers are less likely to be detected.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

...and Tim Hobbs spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Says it all.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 06:47:36 -0000, "Richard Brookman" scribbled the following nonsense:

did chuckle the other day though on the A43 when a Saxo chav mobile came by, big wheels, big exhaust, the worlds supply of plastic bolt on bumpers, UV lights underneath....

Sticker in the back window said "Taxed, tested and insured, Go catch some real criminals"

Inviting being pulled I know, but I found it hilarious! Can't quite comprehend how a Chav could have been so witty to think something like that up though! Must have seen it on Trisha while he thought of ways of spending the dole money!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Hard luck, Steve.

Out of (personal) interest - how long did it take from being flashed to geting the NIP/Points?

I drove the M62 into Liverpool two weeks ago and "misunderstood" that

50 limit. I don't think I was much above 50 (definitely below 60) so I hope I wasn't flashed.

Judith

Reply to
Judith

Notice of intended prosecution should be with you in 2 weeks. Posted (not landed your end) counts as served.

Sound like you will be ok if 2 weeks have passed.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D