OT: Satellite Sysems - in france

I know this is OT, but does anybody know of any problems with attempting to recieve Sky Satellite Digital transmissions in France. Surely it's just a case of aligning the dish correctly, or would it require a bigger dish than those small digtal dishes?

PS. How DO you align a sky dish?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Have a look at this. It's somewhere to start.

Dougal

Maplin. Little (non returnable) alignment box. I have something similar, which does far less and cost nearly a Grand. 20 odd quid from Maplin is a far better bet, IMO :-)

Reply to
Mother

"Alex" wrote

Friends of mine moved from N. Cornwall to the Toulouse region and have Sky so it's certainly possible.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

We got it in the caravan down in Biarritz this summer with a mini dish and standard Pace box. Bigger dishes are ok for better reception but more tricky to set up. Any further south and I recon we'd be pushing our luck.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

The sky is not always 'up'. sure, it looks like it, but it can sometimes be sideways, occasiobally 'down'. I once did an uplink whilst the dish was pointing 'down' toward a local church. The tech on that job did 'Songs of Praise' a few weeks later, we all had a drink to celebrate God knowing the sky is not always 'up' :-)

(I'm no expert on broadcast sats, by the way).

Reply to
Mother

After finishing my training as a rtelecoms tech back in the Sixties, my first

3 jobs were worokiong on satellite earth stations (for Aussies - in Moree, Ceduna and Carnarvon).

I dunno about Sky but some satellite service providers use antennae which put a "shaped" footprint onto the ground and which can omit large areas. Yiou need to know the footprint of the antennae (many satellites have multiple antennae with different radiation patterns.

Ron Beckett Emu Plains, Australia

1995 P38A Range Rover HSE 4.6 Litre V8

Reply to
The Becketts

go here

and have a shufty in the forums All the details there about what you need to do to reeive sky as far south as Tenerife

regds

Si

Reply to
Si K