OT: Twatting eBay screwing with things again.

I did a search for the text string and they didn't show up, whereas previously 37 auctions did. I don't remember the user to check properly though and don't really care enough to put any more effort in ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Seems a bit silly to send you a nastygram, but not entirely surprising from them. Companies are the most goose-stepping of dictatorships, making most governments look like sheep, although at least being under the thumb of a company is usually optional!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Still there ... loads of laptop hard drives with a smattering of fishnet stockings.

Whatever turns you on, I guess ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

I saved a couple in my watched items just to check. Still there. ID is niceandspice1.

Reply to
Rich B

NOW they have all gone! Took over 48 hours. There is a point to be made, but I can't be bothered!

Matt

Reply to
Matt M

In article , Austin Shackles writes

I've been researching PayPal a bit:

The original Paypal(Europe) Ltd was this:

PAYPAL (EUROPE) LTD

Reg Office: WHITTAKER HOUSE WHITTAKER AVENUE RICHMOND SURREY TW9 1EH Company No. 04056498 Status: Active Date of Incorporation: 21/08/2000 Country of Origin: United Kingdom Company Type: Private Limited Company Nature of Business (SIC(03)): 7487 - Other business activities Accounting Reference Date: 31/12 Last Accounts Made Up To: 31/12/2006 (FULL) Next Accounts Due: 31/10/2008 Last Return Made Up To: 21/08/2007 Next Return Due: 18/09/2008 Last Members List: 21/08/2007 Previous Names: Date of change Previous Name 06/09/2000 LAW 2208 LIMITED 20/02/2001 X.COM (EUROPE) LTD

It's still extant at Companies House, but I note in passing that their accounts are overdue (at least that's how it looks on the CoHo web site). in case you're interested, their FSA entry is different:

226056 PayPal (Europe) Ltd Hotham House 1 Heron Square Richmond upon Thames Surrey TW9 1EJ 020-8605-3000, 020-8605-3001 (fax)

They also have an email address (from the FSA site): snipped-for-privacy@paypal.com

This is also the registered address of "PayPal UK Limited", although this company has no FSA database entry.

PayPal (Europe) Ltd. are no longer authorised by the Financial Services Authority. This company however is EEA* Authorized. Their services are regulated by Luxembourg:

470235 PayPal (Europe) Sarl et Cie SCA 22 - 24 Boulevard Royal L-2449 +35-2-26-63-91-00 +35-2-26-63-92-50 (fax)

Home State Regulator: LUXEMBOURG BCD Inward Service

These are their defined spheres of activity (again FSA web site):

1 - Acceptance of deposits and other repayable funds from the public 2 - Lending including consumer credit, mortgage credit, factoring and financing of commercial transactions 5 - Issuing and administering means of payment

I believe this is the company one would now be contracting with, were one to use PayPal.

So the question is, "Why up-sticks and 'move' to Luxembourg?" (at a guess the Richmond office is still the de facto centre of operations for PayPal in the UK).

One is left to speculate, but here are some possibilities: The FSA does not record anything like as much detail on non-UK (but EEA) companies. In particular, there is no UK record of complaints or regulatory actions taken against an EEA company not based in the UK.

PayPal is now offering its own credit card (see activity group (2) above), which would entail far tighter control than previously, were it to be based in the UK. IIRC, PayPal had previously argued that it was NOT a bank (and therefore fell outside the scope of much of the protective legislation), as it didn't lend nor borrow (it was an escrow agent). The creation of the credit card blew a hole in this fig-leaf.

So, it seems to me that PayPal are 'offshore' to avoid too much UK scrutiny (we are their biggest European market by far). If anyone from PayPal is reading this, I'm sure we'd all welcome a detailed rebuttal...

Regards,

Simonm.

*EEA = European Economic Area, a superset of EU countries, plus some others such as Norway.
Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

PMSL!

Matt M

Trouble is, it's so bloody true!

Reply to
Paul - xxx

On or around Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:50:40 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig enlightened us thusly:

Tax.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Maybe. It makes a small difference, but multinats can usually repatriate as much or as little as suits them.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

And the differences in regulation, not to mention the problems an ordinary punter will run into trying to bring a case against them. Though TBH I'm not sure under whose law they operate, but even so I expect they have the right to court processes to be held in Luxembourg. Which will be a show stopper for most ordinary people...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It was the laptop hard drives I was looking at - honest!

Neil

Neil