OT: What is a tot?

How big is a tot? (millilitres/oz/grams etc.)

-As in whiskey

Reply to
Hans

It's what's known as a "house measure" as in the size of measure you use when at home. It has no defined size. It's as big as it is and no bigger.

Paul

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

|| Hans wrote: || ||| How big is a tot? (millilitres/oz/grams etc.) ||| -As in whiskey || || It's what's known as a "house measure" as in the size of measure you || use when at home. It has no defined size. It's as big as it is and || no bigger. || || Paul

About the same as a finger - think of a hand holding a glass, and how many fingers the whisky would be level with. As Paul says, there is no precise measure - it's just whatever you normally have. Pub measures are 25ml (I think), so it would be at least double that! Enough to satisfy, but not intoxicate - unless you have several.

Now you mention it...

That's better. Now, where were we?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

It is equal to the amount of oil your land rover drops on the drive in a single weekend.

...that will be about a pint then....

Reply to
Martin (Wirral, UK)

Tip the bottle up until you think you have enough.

Reply to
Nikki

My local now serves "Larger 35ml measures" Trouble is, I still seem to drink as many double G&T's as I used too, given that the new double measure is only 5ml short of a triple!!!! Having said that, they havent altered the price either, so that probably still has something to do with it as well ;-)

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (ex-Girlfriend, at the moment......) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

According to my Palm Pilot's unit converter (YAUC), a tot is equal to 23.6775521 ml

Hope that helps

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

If referring to Navy measures, 1 Tot is Half a Gill or 59.15 ml

(Jackspeak ISBN 0-9514305-2-1)

Reply to
John

On 11 Dec 2003 04:16:01 -0800, andrew snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Andrew) made me spill my meths by writing:

What if you lay your Palm Pilot on it's back and fill with rum?

Ah, fill the Palm with rum, not you lay on your back and...

Reply to
Wayne Davies

I usually find that a Tot of something like Teachers or Bells is almost always too big (blended whiskey being akin to p!ss IMO) whereas a Tot of something like a 15yr old Laphroaig is almost always about right. However, any Tot of a 1967 MACALLEN is simply too small...

Size, it appears, does matter :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I make it a rule never to get drunk on whiskey. Rather like eating chocolate - more doesn't make it taste any better, and after a while, being sick is the only (very wasteful) result.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Very wise. I still have a very expensive bottle of brandy which I cannot enjoy. Having drunk a whole bottle of brandy in one evening I now cannot touch the stuff without feeling ill.

I have a friend with an enviable whisky collection and he had to give it away having done the same with Scotch. Sadly I wasn't around when he was doing the redistribution...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I somehow feel I would be failling my duties as a friend if I did not hereby offer to help you out... ;-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

I'll ensure it is on hand for the first show of the new season. I should mention that Laphroag has always been a favourite, although in recent years I've enjoyed my whisky with an 'e' in it. Just say 'no' kids...

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Reply to
Nikki

Yes, I know the feeling well, it also applies to rum, just the slightest smell of either makes me retch, yet gin, pernod and pimms (not at the same time mind!) on which I have become morer that pleasantly intoxicated on the odd occassion do not have this effect.....

-- Simon Isaacs

Peterborough 4x4 Club Chairman and Webmaster

3.5V8 100" Hybrid Part owner of 1976 S3 LWT, currently under restoration Suzuki SJ410 (ex-Girlfriend, at the moment......) Series 3 88" Rolling chassis...what to do next Pug 106 (offroaded once!!)
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I'm just back to whisky after a 4 year absence (company conference in Nice put the kybosh on it). I'm still not able to look brandy in the eye having had some for breakfast after a ball about 10 years ago.

I also know a lot of people who are unable to share a room with cider, having explored its possibilities to excess during their teenage years. And one chap I know has been fully teetotal since literally nearly killing himself drinking whisky when he was about 15.

But do I learn?...

Reply to
David French

Haven't enjoyed vodka since going blind once during a Navy happy hour. Doing the maths with my mess bill later revealed 3/4 of bottle had gone down in 45 minutes, plus a few beers beforehand.

If it had been a 3 year course not a 1 year course I would probably have ended up dead or alcoholic.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs