OT what is the Ugliest 4x4

On or around Mon, 03 Jul 2006 13:14:44 +0100, beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

RB44 was made up from bits, uses the cab from the dodge-renault thing. I suspect it's quite a sound vehicle, but it's not exactly pretty. But then neither are a lot of the more "utility" things - the 101 Ambi for example is not exactly pretty, and if I'd been doing it I'd have modified the design to make the cab look the same size as the body - wouldn't have been all that hard. But then again, a pure working vehicle is designed primarily to function not to look good. The RB44 could have had a bespoke cab which fitted it better, for example, but it wouldn't have worked any better.

The ones that have the least excuse are the "car-type" 4x4s, which are supposedly made with an eye to styling...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The one on the link I posted looks like it was carrying a load of magnets when it crashed into a DIY store...

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I think the UMM is Portuguese, in which case you can expect it to swerve into the bushes and claim on your insurance every time another car looks like passing it. It is ugly, but in a functional way. Now the Ssssssssangggggyyyyyyyyyyyonggggggggggg is ugly in a look-how-brutal-I-am-cos-I'm-a-4x4 way.

There's ugly and there's ugly. Functional ugliness makes you smile (2CV, UMM, MZ150, Trabi). Styled ugliness makes you vomit (Ford Scorpio, anything by Sssssannnnggggyyyooonnnggg, Daewoo coupe, Ford Penis, sorry Probe).

I was going to mention the rough, tough, rugged Man's car, the outback-styled Talbot Rancho, but of course that was FWD. Fnarr.

DaveP

Reply to
Dave P

Nah they do I've seen one or two about ( on the M6 ?) something like

not really ugly enough thoDerek

Reply to
Derek

I got a theory on that, I thought the Disco 3 was just plain nasty until colours other than silver started appearing. I believe that they look a tonne better in a normal stronger colours rather than pale metallics which oddly feature in the advertising

a play and see if you agree maybe I'm just turning a bit 'Meldrew' Derek

Reply to
Derek

And there I was thinking we were talking about "proper", designed-to-be

4x4s, not 4x4 variants of 2wd vehicles (or even military only specials).

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Cor, can I have one and drive it round Marble Arch and Hyde Park Corner. A real Chelsea Tractor. B-)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

bonatti grey gets my vote

Reply to
William Tasso

I like the honking great big stabbing fork attached on a remotely-controlled arm, I could think of a few uses for that. Sadly I suspect the arm would move rather slowly and traffic wardens could easily dodge it.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That is the version I want to drive around London...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd like to nominate this, not because of it's looks, but solely due to it's name.

The name "Honker" actually means "strong horse" in Polish. Unfortunatly the word doesn't travel well....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I generally fail to stifle a chuckle when I see someone driving a "Bighorn" on British roads..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Tue, 04 Jul 2006 09:38:24 +0100, Alex enlightened us thusly:

looks a bit like the merc g-wagen

hehe. look at the new cars link, the series 54 is available as a "honker box".

top of the range "max" works out about 18,700 quid.

hmm, interesting translation:

-------------- The driving aggregate consists of tested turbo diesel engine ANDORIA 4Cti90 and a gearbox EATON TS5-21. This drive has become number one category in the area of terrain vehicles. Many world producers use it. The engine is equipped with fuel injector Bosch, pressed air intercooler and it is supplied in two modifications at 66 or 75 kW. Independent heating can support the starting of the engine and heating the cabin at extremely low temperatures with the possibility of time setting. Gearbox EATON has 5 transmissions, straight gearing and with the possibility of other mechanical output for hydraulic pump or winch. Additional gearbox secures standard steady drive 4x4 with the possibility to lock interaxle differential. For extra charge you can also buy alternative system of steady drive of rear axle with additional front drive. Both types of additional gearboxes are equipped with two basic gearing - road and terrain.

--------------

Mind, I bet I'd do nothing like as well translating my website to Czech... I like "pressed air" though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Lol!

Theres a Dutch guy producing bumper stickers....

"Honk if you Honk your Honker"

:-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, a baby warthog is beautiful to its mother.

Personally I think all series motors are a thing of beauty, I think that bringing the radiator grille forward was a mistake, they look so utilitarian and funtional. What I do not like is all those curves onSUV's fine on a Ferrari or a well proportioned young lady, but not on a 4x4

The ugliest for sure though is the Hummer, both in its military and civilian variants, neither use nor ornament.

Reply to
Larry

But they rust though. Looking at the utilitarian motors I rather like the Kubelwagen, not that the VW beetle is at all bad.

Two CV's on tight bends are a sight to behold though, scary hairy stuff.

Reply to
Larry

On or around Tue, 4 Jul 2006 17:19:18 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

but amazing fun, even so. I'd love the time and money to build a 4CV sahara copy, I reckon it'd give the landies a run for their money off-road as well. The ordinary FWD one is pretty amazing, with the right tyres and a tuned 602 engine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 4 Jul 2006 17:16:06 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

I dunno, the proper hummer H1 is good at what it does, and built like tank - take a look at the size of the springs and suspension bits at the front.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Lol inspired model name hey look Austin they do a Honker Minibus :-)

Derek

Reply to
Derek