OT - you think the North Circular is bad?

From another group:

Richard Brookman

So how would we do it differently in the UK?

Traffic lights, pedestrian crossing period, right turn prohibitions and red light cameras - worse still, a policeperson on point duty. Would the traffic move any quicker?

Reply to
Dougal

idiot bicyclists riding on the pavement? Derek

Reply to
Derek

"Richard Brookman" wrote

Having been there a number of times I don't see any problem, perfectly normal driving for India. The largest vehicle in any conflict has right of way unless it's a "suicide" bus which has right of way over everything, all except the cows that wander everywhere which have ultimate right of passage. If you are of equal size then the first to toot has right of way. Quite sensible, seems to work OK. We have always passed the time on the road from Delhi to Agra counting the "dead" lorries, those on their roofs or in ditches or streams (sometimes with the drivers still sitting there guarding the load), passes the time. How anyone survives a crash in one of those wooden cabbed Leyland Ashok lorries I can't imagine, and we wonder what happened to all those hitching a ride on the roof?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

|| Richard Brookman wrote: || ||| From another group: ||| |||

> [...]

That's what I thought. In one sense, total anarchy, but also everyone kept moving and there were no accidents, at least in the 30 sec or so that we see. I loved the bit where everyone is flying across each other's paths, buses, cars, the lot, and two pedestrians calmly wander across the middle of the junction.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

A chaotic system, but it must be said that it worked in that example!

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

What are insurance rates in urban indian cities?

I would imagine that traffic cameras in central Durban, South africa would reveal a similar state of anarchy.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

It's not that OT....I'm sure thats a Series 3 lightweight turning right at the start of the clip!

-- Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Pacman

No, it's a Mahindra Jeep. Quite common out there.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

£9.00pa for a 110 in Bangladesh if that helps.

My sister in law has a 3 year posting there - driving the landy around is great fun - the roads are total anarchy.

Reply to
Buzby