The diff lock saga....The end

After much soaking of seized bit in diesel, penetrating oil etc and getting no where i was ready to live without it. Until some kind soul nicked the radio aerial off my works van. Off i went to the scrap yard to see if i could find another one (Halfrauds wanted =A313!). None to be had at all, but hello whats that familier looking shape sat over the back....a Range Rover....oohh.....an auto one even better. Diff lock lever works ok on this one. Took it off and took a chance it would fit my Disco. Cost me the grand total of =A35. A quick clean up and regrease and it was off with the old seized one. New one bolts straight on and hey presto it works, well the diff lock light comes on and the lever moves well over to the left. How can i check that it is really engaging the diff lock?.

Dom J (Happy as i was fed up of smelling of diesel)

Reply to
Dom J

Engage diff lock and observe warning light. Warning light must be on - if warning light is off, lock has not engaged but system is not necessarily non functional. Rock backwards/forwards until both conditions are met.

You've been there before so know that it is possible in your case.

Jack up any one wheel with park brake off (take appropriate precautions if required!), main and transfer 'boxes NOT in neutral and attempt to rotate the raised wheel. If it rotates, lock is not functioning.

Reply to
Dougal

engage diff lock, jack up one wheel, turn it - if the whole car tries to move, the diff is locked!

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

If you jack up a front wheel, you can leave the park brake applied.

Reply to
Dougal

| How can i | check that it is really engaging the diff lock?. |

Get onto some gravel, full lock, drive slowly. You'll hear it scrubbing if the difflock is working.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

An inadequate test - insufficient conditions specified.

Reply to
Dougal

Eh? The "park brake" doesn't opearate at the wheels on an Land Rover.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If the handbrake is on the rear of the transfer box, then if he jacks up a rear wheel then he'd have to let the handbrake off in order for the twisting of the raised wheel to get to the transfer box, otherwise the handbrake would stop the wheel twisting, diff lock or not.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Correct.

We're trying to verify the effectiveness of the centre diff lock. The diff has three inputs/outputs - when the diff is locked, preventing rotation at any two of the three will prevent rotation at the third.

The input is locked against engine compression if the main and transfer 'boxes are not in neutral. The driveline park brake locks the rear output. If the centre diff is locked the front output will be locked confirmed by being unable to rotate a raised front wheel.

Reply to
Dougal

"Dougal" wrote :-

With the park brake applied and one front wheel jacked up and you can turn the wheel, then centre difflock is disengaged (assuming you have no transmission problems), similarly if you can't turn it then difflock is engaged.

No one actually said that as far as I can see, except Dougal (but not all at the same time) the point being (as he also said) to verify the effectiveness of the centre diff.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Who's spotted my 'deliberate' error? I'm too tired to explain tonight.

Reply to
Dougal