types of engines and conversion

Hi I'm a potential land rover owner (otherwise I still lack cash)

What engines do Land Rover series II come with? What are the diesel engines they have? I'm from Australia and I have heard of Holden 185 & 202 engine adaptor plates. What are the benefits of these engines?? From reading posts I gather land rovers come with Perkins engines. True? By any change have they ever come with Perkins P6 engine? (have one from a tricycle tractor) This is probably blasphemy, but how do Toyota 2f engines sit in the engine bay??

some thoughts and experience on these topics would be appreciated.

later

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie

Take a look at

which will give you engine details plusa whole lot more.

Yes, the Holden 6 fits into the LR but with some modifications to engine mounts and first cross member. The kits that were (are?) produced include a new bell housing to fit the gearbox and a gearbox spigot bush for the flywheel. The radiator has to be moved forward as well. Usually its a better fit into a Series III with the headlamps in the front guards. You MUST have an engineering approval to obtain registration in most States.

Marks 4x4 in Dandenong produced a kit and I think the Castlemaine Rod Shop in Castlemaine still do. But there are nearly always Holden powered LRs for sale in the Trading Posts.

Its not an ideal engine swap unless other things are done to the vehicle - usually a high ratio gearbox or an overdrive. Its not very fuel efficient - but by 4x4 standards who cares anyway.

The advantages are that its a very common engine, parts are plentiful, its easy to service.

Also try and get a vehicle with Salisbury diffs as they are a bit stronger than the standard Rover fare.

Not in Aus - Landrover cuddled with Isuzu for a while in the early 80s and installed a 4 pot diesel - really nice engine in its turbo form. Its fitted to most of the Aus Army's Perentie Landrover 6x6 and 4x4. Other than tractors, old Leyland Trucks and some ACCOs built by International I'm not aware of Perkins engines being sold in any volume in Aus.

Nope - anything is possible with enough money though.

Wash your mouth out instantly!!! I've never heard of this conversion but its possible if you have enough money no doubt.

-- Roger

Roger Martin

Most Series 2 are actually 2a - but the differences are in detail only, so you are right to lump them together. Most had the Landrover 2.25l petrol engine (4). This is rugged, longlasting if reasonably maintained, very driveable offroad, all parts available and not too expensive, and easy to work on. But not a ball of power. A very few from 1958 had the Rover 2.0 F-head engine. Nothing wrong with the engine except it is less powerful, but parts are getting to be a problem. Avoid it unless you are after a collector's special! The other petrol engine was the Rover 2.6l six. A good engine, but it is a car engine, not a four wheel drive engine, very thirsty, and parts can be hard to find. They have been regarded as unreliable and prone to overheating, I think unfairly. Although they tend to warp heads when overheated, so the effects of overheating tend to be worse than with the fours. A couple of years ago I saw two overhauled ex-army engines sold very cheaply at an auction as nobody wanted them!

Earliest ones have the 2.0 Landrover diesel, most the 2.25 Landrover diesel. Both are relatively gutless, and in my experience not as durable as you would expect from a diesel. Some parts are ridiculously expensive but most seem to be available although parts special to the 2.0 may be hard to find.

Roger has covered these pretty well - only comment I would make is that the Holden carburettors do not like slopes as well as the ones on the Landrover engines, and steep slopes may cause lubrication problems as well.

Not in Australia at least.

Reply to
JD

efficient -

we were lucky enough today to pick up a series 3 landy with a 202 for a measly $1400. all things working and car has not been used on a farm or anything, but what roger has said is exactly right. the main problem remains that with the standard 4 speeder you'll sit on 3500+ rpm at 100km/h. so if you do the conversion to a 202, your best option is too also change the diffs to give a better ratio or chuck on an overdrive. but there are huge advantages obviously in having an engine that every small servo across the country will have spares for.

good luck finding your new love!

sam.

Reply to
samuel mcgregor