Overdrive Fitting Disaster

Was fitting an overdrive to my early 110 V8 (LT95 box) to make the motorway journey to Billing a little easier when, whilst fitting the snap ring onto the end of the mainshaft, the mainshaft moved in towards the gearbox noticably. Now first gear does not engage and the shaft will not return to its normal position.

Anyone had this occour before? Any idea's as to its rectification or do I need to put in another box?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also, the thrust washers were missing, so am having to improvise. Are they available anywhere as I would rather the proper thing than the nearest I can find.

Troubled, Darren.

Reply to
Darren

This is caused by the rearmost thrust washer on the output mainshaft dropping out of position. I don't believe it can be rectified without removing the gearbox and reassembling it. The box won't have been damaged though (hopefully) so you won't need a new one.

View it as an unexpected opportunity to rebuild the LT95 with new seals and replace bearings as necessary.

The fitting instructions specifically warn against this possibility.

Nick

Reply to
Nicknelsonleeds

Hi All,

By gently spining the mainshaft, the bearing re-seated itself and the shaft returned to its original position. Now just need a new thrust washer. Anyone know anywhere I can get one? All the local gearbox places dont seem too interested in helping.

Thanks,

Darren

Reply to
Darren

Speak to Dave at Ashcroft Transmissions

HTH

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530