Petrol in a Td5?

Hi all, my wife rang me all in a panic. She had half a tank in her 90 Td5 and mistakenly put just under14 ltrs unleaded in it. Realising her mistake she then brimmed it with Diesel.

That would make about 3 gallons of petrol in about a 20 gallon? tank.

She then drove it home, a distance of around 7 miles. Seemed to run fine.

Advice so far seems to be 50/50 it will be OK or it will die.

Suggestions please. Thanks, Chris.

Reply to
Bartty

Bartty uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Just keep topping it up with Derv as soon as there is space in the tank to do so. I would imagine it would be fine. Diesel is often treated to a spash of petrol in the winter to help stop it gel and assist with cold starts, though modern diesel fuel tends to be a bit more sophisticated.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Agree with lee, keep topping up when possible for at least a few tankfulls.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Stick a pint of regular lube oil in the tank. This will restore the lubricity to the fuel lost by the addition of the petrol and hopefully safeguard the pump etc.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

I did this last year, and posted about it on here - a Google search should show it up. Common rail diesels will tolerate petrol contamination much less well than the older type, but I think I got away with it. There have been no long-term effects, apart from a possibly slightly louder rattle at idle. Keep brimming with diesel, as others have said. I added a litre of

2-stroke oil as well, to help lubricate the pump.

My filler flap now sports the legend: It's Diesel, You Tit.

Reply to
Rich B

Reply to
m4ckk