Q's about disco's

Q1) ok, this might be me being a tad thick.

started to spec up the disco to get shot of the viscous fan.

then i spotted a pair of electric fans in front of the rad

are these standard fit? are they an as well as or an instead of the viscous?

Q2) at about 75mph there is a horrid drone from the transfer box. As it currently has 3 different styles of rubber on the deck, would a good start be getting a good set of tyres and then checking the xfer box out?

Q3) its a 94/5 model, with the 3.9. now, the rangie was a 93, with the 3.9 (i'll get to the point in a mo). when you floored the rangie it was like an exocet had been shoved up the tailpipe, the disco is somewhat more - sedate. Normal? any ideas if not?

cheers

Si

Reply to
SiK

During stardate Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:36:31 +0100, "SiK" uttered the imortal words:

Air con??

Leave the Viscous if recent postings here are owt to go by. My experience is apart from a noise reduction You'll get little other benifit.

Check the oil too.

Kick down cable may need a tweak... is it seeming to have a delayed kick down?

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

cheers Lee

as in xfer box not auto box? (feeling slightly hard of thinking right now)

more like a 60's mini than a 3.9! it just doesnt come alive at all.

Si

Reply to
SiK

During stardate Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:49:08 +0100, "SiK" uttered the imortal words:

If it is kicking down but still pants it could be just wear.

Any camshaft noise...ticket tick when cold was the give away on my first V8.

Other thing would be to run a compression test wo see if all is well.... I can't recommend these enough at the mo...endless fun!

Snot got the diff stuck on has it? May explain both problems.

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

...and Lee_D spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Yup, if all else is OK I would suspect a worn cam. If they are not properly lubricated, they can be scrap (performance wise) in 80K miles.

Fitting a new one is a reasonably easy job and not too expensive.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Would cam wear bring it down on power? Had the horsebox on yesterday and didn't notice it was on - which compared to the L200 (mitsubishi) which struggled is rather good.

Si

Reply to
SiK

...and SiK spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Yep, sure would. I had a 3.5 fitted to the 90 and it wasn't very much better than the 2.5 n/a it replaced. When I rebuilt the 90 as a trialler I did the whole top end of the engine and fitted a 3.9 cam. BIG difference. The old cam was like a steel bar with a few lumps on. The 3.9 cam (same quoted power, but supposed to have better low-speed torque) had actual cams on it. :-) If the cam's worn (and they do), then the valves don't get lifted up far enough or quickly enough, and the engine breathing suffers. It's a known problem with high-mileage/badly maintained V8s (I suspect mine was both).

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:44:34 +0100, Lee_D enlightened us thusly:

if it's working right, the viscous is only noisy for about the first 30 seconds anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sun, 23 Oct 2005 17:44:34 +0100, Lee_D enlightened us thusly:

drive it at about 55, and floor the throttle, see if it changes into 2nd. If not, then it's not getting enough kickdown :-)

make sure the throttle cable isn't slack; make sure there's not an inch of mats under the throttle pedal.

have an "assistant" press the pedal to the floor (engine off, natch) then look under the bonnet, see if the thottle is fully open and examine the kickdown cable to see if it can be pulled any further.

If you disconnect it and pull it by hand, you'll find that it pulls out against a spring and seems to stop; if you pull it more it pulls out a bit further and then really stops - there should be a distinct "step" in the feel of it. This final stage is the full-blown kickdown and the cable has to pull that far at full throttle. The only thing you can get seriously wrong by fiddling is to get it adjusted so tight that the kickdown cable hits the final stop in the gearbox before full throttle - this is bad, and can bugger things up internally, so don't do it.

Going back to the previous para., if you can get at the kickdown cable while holding the pedal down, see if you can pull it further, if so, try tightening it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have a pair of these too. AFAIK they are fans for the air-con which makes fitting of a big M.F. Intercooler a tad more awkward, as such I left all as is... almost.

Though I did contemplate some way of using the A/C fans and ditching the viscose fan, but never got any further than that.

:¬)

Reply to
PeTe33