Query: Jerry cans -- where to get them, how to attach them

Last month in Death Valley, I came dangerously close to running out of gas in my 1999 Disco, Type 1 (gas station at Furnace Creek was shut down; in fact, finding gas in remote areas of the western U.S. is quite often a problem).

Next time, I want to take spare gas. But where do I put the Jerry can(s)? How do they attach? Who carries the best, preferably in the US? Would they attach to my Expedition roof rack?

Anybody know?

Related query: Land Rover says to run 91+ octane in the Disco. Will it tolerate lower octane in a pinch? And if so, for how long? I ask, because my fallback gas stop in Death Valley didn't carry 91+ octane and I was tempted to try 86.

--Relatively new Disco owner, California USA

P.S. The Rover's temperature guage never wavered through an entire day's driving in 115-degree heat, often at considerable grades. Great car.

Reply to
Mike O'Reilly

Put brackets on the bumper bars rear and aft for bush use, you will lose a can in a ding.

Who carries the best, preferably in the US?

If you only need a small quantity of fuel it can go on a roof rack but then center of gravity needs to be considered. On trips in the old days following nasty experiences we worked on fuel required x 2 (bad conditions) x 2 (no fuel where you thought there was ie petrol station consisted of a fallen down shed and a rusted out T model ford). This often meant 100+ gallons so roof rack was out of the question add water (assume 10 days @ 2 gal (in summer 4) per person per day) etc and GVW can be a problem.

A definite maybe here. If the alternative is a 5 day walk use the 86 and hope it dosn't bugger the donk. With a carb and dizzy you would be ok if you kept the throttle at low power. Electronic everything I dunno.

(see bit about fallen down shed and a rusted out T model ford)

Think whole 1:1,000,000 map sheets with no fixed human habitation and maybe no water

Reply to
John Campbell

conditions)

In Iceland I had up to 4 25l jerries on the roof at once - 2 water, 1 diesel, 1 unleaded. The main thing is to take care of the loading, as this is coming up to 1/8 tonne of weight on the roof, plus all the other stuff up there. I put my heaviest weight around the corners, near the mountings, for obvious reasons. I didn't find any problems with CoG, even with lots of other bits up there as well, but obviously I was taking no risks whatsoever on side slopes. I think the weight of the 7 passengers helped bulk it out a bit lower down.

And ratchet strap them down well!

David French

I have been wondering about this question myself, but since there is rot at the bottom of the door pillars and also on the front bulkhead below the windscreen I guess this will mean that the roofrack will not support its full quota as this will compromise the overall strength of things.

I wouldn't want the trouble of lifting jerry cans up there anyway, it would require a little more balance than I am capable of as the rear ladder is not the best means of accessing the roof with a heavy load. I just would like to be able to carry some spare fuel over Christmas when most of the filling stations will be shut. Mind you there is nothing to stop me carrying them in the back I suppose if I secure them well enough.

Reply to
Larry

I thought this out and ended up with two 20L (5G) plastic jerries. Advantages are lower weight, air space in the top to allow for expansion, small screw cap vent, to vent out execessive pressure and they don't make horrible noises when stacked against each other due to vehicle motion. I carried these inside the vehicle strapped to the cargo barrier. You need fully approved plastic jerries for fuel. The ones I have are Canadian manufactured and are suitably stamped for use in most countries for both gasoline & diesel. Steve W

Reply to
QuickDraw Steve

Check this out Mike:

&
for all you other land roverneeds.

and no I don't work for the company, I work for a living!

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

Strewth - having just read all that I'll buy some now! Where's me credit card......

Reply to
pl.white