Fitting Jerry Cans

Hi all,

I have a 110 Defender CSW 12 seats, I have taken out the back 6 seats and am modifying the boot for our Africa Trip.

I have decided to attach a Jerry Can to outside the car on the passenger side boot, with a proper Jerry Can Cradle, it is impossible to fit it the other side because of the fuel tank filler. Will it upset the balance of the vehicle by just having a jerry can on one side, the other three will be on the roof.

Any help

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Bloody hell! How big is the jerry can!?

The 110 wont even notice there's a jerry can on the back, full or otherwise. The three on the roof will be more of a problem but even then not much of one unless you're getting into situations where every degree of lean angle counts.

Reply to
PDannyD

second that.

your average jerry can carrys 20 litres of petrol, therefore a full can would weigh about 25 kilos by my best estimate. i dont think this is anywhere near enough to upset the balance of your 110.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

Snip...

side, the other three will be on the roof.

I think you'll find that a jerry can on one side of the vehicle will definitely cause the 110 to tip over at the slightest provocation.

Honestly ;-)

David.

110 CSW.
Reply to
DNS

I have one on the back door. Mind you like everything else it rusts, so does the cradle,

Reply to
Larry

I take it you are extracting a clear yellow liquid and I needn't worry

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

You ARE putting a heck of a lot of weight, well above the centre of gravity of the vehicle. Just be aware of it.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

agreed that the jerry cans on the roof-rack are a little awkward, but one on the rear of the vehicle is not really worth worrying about.

Sam.

Reply to
Samuel

It's tempting to allow for it when arranging storage, but it's a smaller left/right difference than you can get from using fuel on an SWB, and much less than the difference a passenger makes.

Reply to
David G. Bell

I've driven a 110 with (I think) 6 or maybe 8 jerry cans on the front of the roof rack (yea.. I know). it had evil body-roll on corners and was a bit unweildy off-road but I managed with no real problems (apart from the time I slipped off the bonnet with a full can of diesel in each hand, ouch, the bonned was coated in sheet ice, as was everything else). I'm fairly sure that you'll get your wrists slapped for using jerry can holders on the sides of the vehicle here and in europe.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

If you were all working to the AA's recommendations that you should carry a can "so that you can go and get fuel" there wouldn't be anything to discuss as the weight of an empty jerry can can be ignored.

On the other hand what's the point of an empty fuel can?

Reply to
Dougal

Can I get a slap from The Police for having jerry cans on the side of the vehicle

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Indeed, we were working where fuel could be tricky to come by and when we found some it usually had alot of water in it (diesel) so each vehicle had a row of cans along the front of the rack, I forget how many cans, I've had a quick look through my box of photos but can't see a shot of it. 6 or 8 it was I think.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

"The off road 4wd book" by Jack Jackson. A section on fuel storage, page 44 shows a series 3 LWB station wagon with a pair of jerry cans in a frame mounted above the rear wheel. Caption reads "German-style jerry cans in a lockable frame - Illegal in Europe". I knew I'd read it somewhere. To me that implies to the location of the cans and/or the associated framework.

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

I think that would depend on whether they are full or not... And what they are full of...

There are rules for how much diesel and how much petrol you can store, and presumably how much you can carry around. Diesel's not too volatile, but I wouldn't rate carrying a full jerry of petrol on the side of the vehicle as safe. Nor an empty one with the lid closed for that matter.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Apart from the Jerry can on the back which is usually empty (I have a second smaller one inside) I carry a gas bottle on the driver side and 25ltrs of water on that side too. however they are at least inside the vehicle.

In any case you should be able to judge when there is a little too much lean when cornering and always keep just on the right side of scary, its not as if you are driving a 2 CV anyway.

Reply to
Larry