new car radio in old mitsubishi galant

Hi,

today I bought an mp3-cd-radio for car in the supermarket. But unfortunatly, my car is a bit to old to work with the standard- connections that cars seem to have these days. It requires 2 connectors with both 2*8 pins on it. Now, when I took out my old radio, there was 1 connector with 2*5 pins on it, (one plastic) but that one wasn't used. The only thing used were

4 wires taped to the wires from the radio. There was (from radio to car) red - blue black - black / black-blue (double wire with one connection) green - white-red gray - white-blue

So, red is contact-power, I got to that. Black must be "mass", and the other two is for the speakers.

When connecting the red and black from my new radio, nothing happens, this is what I find weird, cause normally you should have power, no?

Another thing is: the sheme from the new connectors requires 2 wires for each speaker, but in the old radio there was only 1 per speaker, so I don't have a clue which wire to connect to the speaker minus wire.

And then there is the old connector. That one has wires, I presume for the speakers in the back, which were previously not in use. There's yellow, yellow-red and two other wires.

My Galant is rather old, I think about 12-14 years, and was bought here in Belgium, should this be relevant. Does anyone have an idea on how I could make the new radio to work properly?

thanks in advance,

Tim De Roeck

Reply to
wEEdpEckEr

The reason u dont get any power is probably because you need to connect bothe the power and the backup wire from your player to the + side of the battery. Your backup should go trough the ignition-switch. However, connect it to the same as the power-wire to test that it is ok... take time later to find a wire witch goet trough the ignition.

When it comes to the speakers, you have the same problem I had on my Galant '86. If you follow the wires do they split? Mine did for the front-set, but the rear-speakers were connected with the same wire. This is BAD if you care about your new player your. If so, what you should do is to lay new cables. Not fun, but should be easy.

Hope this helps you a bit on the way...

-2rb Norway

Reply to
Håkon Normann Bruarøy

"Håkon Normann Bruarøy" schreef op zo, 04 jan 2004

04:46:00 GMT in news:FQMJb.333$ snipped-for-privacy@news2.e.nsc.no:

Well, to be honest, I messed a bit myself, got everything up and working, but I couldn't find the constant power wire. So when I asked my garageholder to take a look at it, and connect it, that man threw out all my wiring and replaced it with new one, and with a good connector, which was something I didn't have. Luckily my parents paid, because it was done in the same time with a big maintenance. The guy charged almost half the price as the radio itself costed me. But thanx for your advice, next time I'll just do everything myself, even if it costs a little more time.

greetz aka wEEdpEckEr

Reply to
wEEdpEckEr