BMW engine to Range Rover Classic

Hi all does anybody know how possible it is to fit the straight 6 3.5 BMW engine to a 4 speed Range Rover gearbox, I am not worried about the engine management just how much of a job to fit the g/box

Richard

-- To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

Is this lump actually going to fit in the engine bay without resiteing the radiator 6's are usually longer and higher than V8s ? Derek

Reply to
Derek

If this is the M30 engine (from an older 5 or 7 series) then the length might be an issue but the height shouldn't be as they are designed to be inclined to one side from vertical. The RR auto-box is IIRC the same as the E32 7 series BMW from 88-94 so marrying them up shouldn't be a problem.

The tough bit will be to get the engine management and gearbox computers to talk to the rest of the car, I think. If you really are serious then I can let you have a copy of the 7 series electrical schematics in pdf format. Mind you, if you pulled it off you'd be able to select between economy, sport and manual modes in the gearbox ... I would think sport mode would be interesting :-)

Reply to
SteveG

If it's any consolation, I saw one for sale on ebay a couple of months back and looked a tidy installation, just goes to prove it can be done...............

Dave

Reply to
Dave R

Thanks for the reply can you tell me what is ( IIRC ) in your reply cant make it out, so I can get a Range Rover auto box and bolt it straight to the

3.5 engine then :-))) jut the wiring to sort out, no worries the car is being stripped so I can take my time and have the whole wiring loom then !!!!!!!!!!! should be an interesting project then..

Rich

Reply to
Rich

what was it in if you can remember Rich

-- To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

Can you tell me what type of auto Range Rover box it would be, say out of the Classic Range Rovers ??

Rich

Reply to
Rich

...and Rich spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

If I Recall/Remember Correctly.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Ahhh ok, thanks now I know.

Rich To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

If I managed to get this installation to work, would the performance be good at towing as well ? how does the torque and HP compare to a 3.5 Ltr V8

Rich

Reply to
Rich

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

I'm not saying the box will fit directly onto the engine - there may be some sort of adaptor plate between the two as well.

Reply to
SteveG

The 3.5 (actually 3490cc) M30 engine provides 211bhp at 5700rpm and

225lbft of torque at 4000. It's this last figure that would put me off - the revs are too high for towing or off-roading. To achieve this you'd need the sport mode working cos the transmission tends to change up at between 2500 and 3000 normally. In sport mode it'll go all the way to the red line before up-shifting :-))

If you plan to off-road with this engine you might have to consider how it will cope with being at weird angles of inclination and lean - something it was not specifically designed for. I'd want to be sure I wasn't going to get oil starvation

Reply to
SteveG

The Bimmer box is a 4HP22 or 4HP24 (they fitted both) which I think is the same as a Classic RR. If I'm wrong someone will be along to correct me shortly. I can provide you with a line drawing of the box and bell housing if that's of any use.

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Wed, 29 Mar 2006 22:34:44 GMT, SteveG enlightened us thusly:

4HP22 in classic rangies and discos after about 1989, the I've an idea the 4HP24 came along in the P38s, maybe. I think the new one is a 6-speeder, ain't it?
Reply to
Austin Shackles