Range Rover, Some Drive..........

Following on from recent posts, I've changed the filter and fluid, about 6L worth, in the auto gearbox. However, when it is cold, standing for about 2-3 hours, it still needs a 'blip' on the throttle in gear to get it int drive, the clunk. My friend has suggested changing the oil again after running it around for a bit. I'll check the fluid level again tomorrow first thing when it's cold. Hope it's just low fluid level. Could it be a sticking valve though, and would it be easy to get repaired?

Thanks.

Reply to
Bill Payer

you may need to check the linkage on the side of gearbox to make sure it drops in the detents when the gear lever is moved to various drive positions .

if youve changed the fluid then you need to first put the car in drive and go thru the forward and reverse gears and hold the car in drive and on the brakes with low revs , so that the fluid travels through the box and torque converter completely .

then check the fluid level again whilst vehicle is left in drive but on idle revs .

it sounds as if you are still low on fluid, especially if you have to give it some revs to get moving .

Reply to
M0bcg

Good tip, it doesn't say anything like that in any of the manuals!!

Reply to
Bill Payer

On or around 23 Dec 2003 21:38:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (M0bcg) enlightened us thusly:

book says neutral and gearbox cold, but after doing the trip through the gears as you describe. I assume the fluid expands when warm and gives a false high reading.

Reply to
Austin Shackles