Range Rover won't run - Fuel problem - Please help!

I'm not very good with UK car problems so here is why I am perplexed. My daughter has a 1988 Range Rover. The other day, for no apparent reason, it died in the driveway. I checked to find no fuel pressure. I checked the fuse panel. Nothing blown. I checked the relay. It clicks when the key is turned on. I checked the inertia sensor it's in the down position. I checked the fuel pump and found no power there so I jumped power straight from the battery to get fuel pressure. It still won't start. If I pour some gas in the injector itake it will run till that goes away. What am I missing? ECM issue? Why won't it run now that it has (jumpered) fuel pressure?

I'm sure there's another reason that the pump isn't getting power but I don't know where else to look or what to test.

BTW, I'm just testing with the power jumped to the fuel pump. I wouldn't leave it that way.

Reply to
timd

Do you have an immobiliser?

I had exactly the same symptoms happened on my old Merc - it turned out to be a fried connection in one of the connector boxes on the immobiliser..

Reply to
Buzby

On or around 7 May 2006 12:46:04 -0700, "timd" enlightened us thusly:

has it got an immobiliser on it?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Mine did something similar the other day but that just needed a fresh live to the fuel pump fuse for a couple of seconds. Sticky fuel pump relay.

Reply to
Pete M

first check fuse 18 ( or C4 on the later model) thats the fuel pump fuse Possibly the fuel shut off inertia switch under the front seat ( I confess I didn't know it was there) there is the overrun cut off valve which you could check to see if the circuit is making or not but more likely the ecu or its plug are misbehaving .It is possible to have one bank with no fuel while the other is happily running ( happened to me) detach the plug attached to the metal unit mounted on the LHS bulkhead below the air intake piping and refit for good measure you can clean the contacts wipe over with propanol on a non fluffy cloth and see if that cures it. Derek still got a Haynes for the lamented Peggy TDi200 Disco and happy!

Reply to
Derek