Rangie aerial

Disappointed to find the new iPod doesn't transmit to the Rangie aerial that well using one of those little low-power FM transmitters. I take it the P38 aerial is the rear demister...? Anybody have any tips as to how best to make this work, short of mounting the iPod on the rear window?

TIA David

Reply to
David French

Well, the first thing that comes to mind is that they're illegal to operate in the UK anyway. End of that Rant.

What you *could* do is wire the sender thingy into a length of cable with the appropriate connectors and splice it directly into the antenna feed just before it hits the radio head unit.

Or get a casette adapter (which is legal!)

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

actually, I believe it's been fired onto the rear drivers side window, the alarm uses it as well.

burn the tracks onto CD's & leave the iPod at home? Mp3's sound terrible anyway....

Reply to
Kieran McCoey

Ah, but I've not necessarily been using one in the UK. I've just come back from the US, and they have Range Rovers there too :)

Reply to
David French

Right, this may appear dumb but exactly what is an IPod, what is it transmitting to your car and why is it illegal in th UK?

There was a time when I was technically minded but as I get older I seem to become less interested to the point where a lot of it is passing over my head....

I still wish they''d never invented mobile phones, I used to be able to do a full days work before I owned one of those.:-)

Alan Mudd

1988 RR 4.6Efi
Reply to
Alan Mudd

David> Disappointed to find the new iPod doesn't transmit to the David> Rangie aerial that well using one of those little low-power David> FM transmitters. I take it the P38 aerial is the rear David> demister...? Anybody have any tips as to how best to make David> this work, short of mounting the iPod on the rear window?

It's actually one of the elements on the side rear windoe.

--

+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |Andy Cunningham aka AndyC the WB | andy -at- cunningham.me.uk | +-------------------------------------------------------------------------+ |
- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"

Thanks Mark, it's all very clear now...I'll stick with my CD player..:-)

Alan.

Reply to
Alan Mudd

Actually the iPod uses a hard disk drive (15, 20 or 40GB). So you can get between 250 and 800 or so CDs on one (about 10,000 tracks). They've just announced a new one which I believe is based on flash memory but I've not checked it out.

Of course, you can also use software to convert CDs to MP3 format, so you don't have to break the law to use them, although let's face it, just about everybody does.

Of course, the ones you can get for iPods and similar are very low powered. At most you may interfere with somebody else's radio if they're 100 yards or less away, but in reality you only transmit on unused frequencies anyway, otherwise you get interference yourself. So although using them in UK is technically illegal (but not in the US or some other countries), it's one of those things which doesn't actually cause any problems or harm to anybody else (unlike music piracy) so most people don't feel that guilty using them. But caveat emptor. eBay has many varieties for sale.

David

Reply to
David French

|| I take it the P38 aerial is || the rear demister...? || || It's actually one of the elements on the side rear windoe. ||

I believe it's actually in the rear windows on *both* sides for "improved reception" - or so I thoiught the manual said. Too dark outside to go and check.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

David,

this is a bit of topic (sorry every one else)

I've been looking at these... so that I can listen to my music on old valve radios (the late 50's variety with fm) around the house....

What type of transmitter do you have... what is the sound quality like... what is it's range / quoted power?

I've been a bit sceptical about the promotional material on the web and because they're generally unavailable in the uk, I haven't spoken with any one who actually uses one.

any comments / advice would be appreciated

rgds

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Alan,

An Ipod is a small device like a walkman it holds music on a solid state storage system. Depending on the amout of memory you buy and the quality of the music stored you can get about 120 albums onto one. The music is normally in mp3 format, which is a computer format. You can download mp3's from the internet. The FM transmitter thingy, will be a seperate unit and plugs into the headphones socket. They were popularised in the states when the Discman was invented. It allowed people to use their discman in the car, transmitting the music from the discman to the cars own radio and playing through the cars speaker system. It also saved people the expense of having a car CD player fitted, which in those days was very high indeed. In fact it is still cost effective today as you can buy a discman that plays mp3's for about forty quid and then play the music back through your existing car stereo.

The Fm transmitter is not illegal per se in this country, however unlicensed use of one is. Only the big broadcast radio stations are licensed to transmit using FM in the wavebands it outputs to.

The same sort of FM modulator could be pushed through a bigger signal amplifier and mast creating a pirate radio station! If that was your sort of thing!

HTH,

Mark

Reply to
Mark

transmitting

I entirely agree, now did you buy yours through ebay, and if so have you got any further info i.e. brand type etc. and what you think of it now you have used it.... other than the problems of getting it to work in your rangie. Does it work in other vehicles by the way? ;-) I ask because I am considering it to connect to the Computer in the car. I want to run an Ipaq emulator on the laptop to install tomtom on, and the laptop speakers are weady'ish and definitely not as good as the quad surround sound of the stereo.

ta,

Mark

Reply to
Mark