What to do about Rangie..

Been offered more than I paid for the Rangie, and discovered it'll not be allowed into a few of the places I want to go on my cross-Europe mission in April / May due to not having a catalyst. New German emissions zones in Berlin / Hannover and a couple of other places..

Also been offered my old '92 Rangie SE back for less than I sold it for, needs a couple of jobs doing, but has a catalyst and a good LPG set up, so that'll be allowed into Berlin and will cost a metric fuckload less to drive across Europe.

So, if I sell the turbo one the gas one is basically free apart from the couple of jobs it needs and it'd cost me a load less to do the Europe trip, but it means selling my favourite Rangie of all time....

Arrgh!

Reply to
Pete M

Let Dervy borrow it and see what sort of MPG figures it'll return? :-)

Reply to
DervMan

Is the gearbox still lunched Pete? In which case, even Dervy would struggle to make it register any MPG.

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Are you sure about this? I've been wondering how they'd try to enforce that with foreign-registered cars as you'd theoretically need the appropriate sticker in order to be allowed to drive into said zones.

For that sticker however you'll need a German registration document which has the emissions classification on it (which a UK document hasn't) so how the heck are you supposed to get the sticker?

Knowing the German bureaucracy, turning up with a car that wasn't even available in Germany will keep them amused for _years_.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

The new british reg docs do have an emissions thingy, but as you say, the older ones don't.

is where I got the info from.

Reply to
Pete M

Heh, I doubt even Dervy will get more than, oh, 22 mpg from it.

Gearbox is still lunched, I've not had any time to sort it out. I've got the box I bought on ebay for it, but actually fitting the bloody thing has turned into a bit of a nightmare..

Reply to
Pete M

But they state the CO2 output, don't they? Which has nothing much to do with the Euro X classification that the German system is based on, as the latter also takes into account particle emissions.

Ta muchly. I'd be tempted to send them an email asking how they'd determine the classification of a UK-registered vehicle as the paperwork doesn't show the Euro norm. A quick Google didn't suggest when it came into force but they may well work on year of registration. But I'd guess you're probably stuffed with anything pre-92.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Probably, knowing the german efficiency, if it isn't german registered, and doesn't follow the euro norm for emissions, and is too old, it is verboten. End off. Saved messing arround with exemptions and get outs. Just yes, no, and f*ck off.

Reply to
Elder

so what did you decide? i say keep it, turbo rangie = cool! keep it as if you like it you'll really regret it like i do my MK2 MR2 :(

Reply to
Vamp

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Vamp, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

I think I'll be keeping the Turbo. At this rate I'll be doing the trip across Europe in the Scorpio..

Reply to
Pete M

take it anyway and tell the germans it's a rangie and to f*ck off. just slap them aside with your british passport and hammer the V8 over the boarder

Reply to
Vamp

You are Jeremy Clarkson and I claim my five pounds.

Reply to
Doki

LOL!

Reply to
Vamp

Stick a couple of Trabant badges on the back and swap a few plug leads round.

No-one will notice it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Andy Dingley, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

That'd be a great plan... except Trabbies aren't allowed into the emissions zones either.

:-(

Reply to
Pete M