Re: FS - 101GS

On or around Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:20:05 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

I had a nice long chat with the chap who eventually purchased the 8x8 >off (sort of) Dave recently (some may remember Austin, I think, >posting about this). > >As a consequence of this purchase he now has to make room by selling >his 101 GS. > >I only have a few basic details at present, but it's RHD has an LPG >conversion, new tilt by Hanno at All Wheel Trim and has been >reasonably well looked after. > >He's looking for something in the region of 4,000 Pounds (UK) which is >pretty fair I guess, especially given the LPG conversion. > >If anyone is interested could they please let me know by email.

I would be if'n I had the money. Sadly, I don't. I fancied at one point doing a 101 out into a miniubus, with a row of single seats down each side and a corridor down the middle. would make a fine school transport :-)

But I've too much invested in the 110 now, really, which'd not be recouped by selling it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It would be a fair ol' climb up into the back of a 101 for schoolkids? Can't see any insurance company going for that one :-( - all it would take is for one of the blighters to fall...

Reply to
Harry Haynes

On or around Wed, 22 Oct 2003 20:56:33 +0100, Harry Haynes enlightened us thusly:

steps. I carefully made all the folding steps on the 110 work, and do they use 'em? do they eckerslike.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Austin

There's something very similar kitted out as you suggest near Ingleton - just off the main path up to Ingleborough - I have a photo of it somewhere.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff J

Not very good - but here you go. And I've never seen an F-reg 101 before.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff J

Saw that potter around that area (Along the B6255 from ingleton to hawes)a couple of years back. Saw it quite a few times while I was up there. Place called Gearstones lodge sat right on teh road so you see allsorts pass!!

Don't remember seeing it recently, but then again havent been up for a while!

Reply to
Chris Naylor

I'll have to take some more recent pics of mine, which has double side- opening doors and benches down 3 sides, seating 12 passengers (and standing headroom!). I'm looking to find a set of steps (similar to the Skye Walks 101) for easier entry/exit.

Old pics at

Malcolm.

Reply to
balloons

I reckon this would make the ideal skool buz :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Easier into the back of a Discovery?

That's dirty, Harry.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On or around Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:18:03 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

nice. I assume it's a Radio body, which of course are the most pricey and difficult to acquire. an Ambi would make sense, as it has more room; alternatively it's a coachbuilding job to put a lid on a GS.

Mind you, I have enough trouble keeping the one I've got reliable, with very-easy spares availability...

Anyone played with converting a 101 to 110 axles/suspension BTW? suitably HD set of coils (e.g. from a 130 HCPU) ought to do it...

some whacky coils on an early Unimog I saw once, which are sort-of barrel shaped, so they're not only variable-rate but they also have mucho travel in a short-ish free length, as the coils can partly collapse inside eachother, rather than getting coilbound. ver' cunning, I thought. Do all Unimogs have such?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Mine does :-) but then as a 1961 model it could well be the era of the one you're thinking of.

Reply to
QrizB

No, it's not a radio body but a GS conversion and almost certainly done by the same company who did mine (and Steve Wellbeloved's) in the Bridport area. Steve's has the high-roof, like mine, and I believe that there are a number of these in existence. Anyone know of others out there?

Malcolm

Reply to
balloons

Well I know of 5 (possibly 6) but I reckon there's a few more we 'know of', but will have listed as GS's. You are quite correct in the origin and yes, they _are_ built very, very well. If I were going to do a long range expedition 101 again, I'd have gone for the vehicle you now have. I really do like the ambi shape and to be honest there is plenty of room once the bulkhead is removed, but for any longer than a week or two, it would become a pain with the two of us and dog!

I have seen a few other very good 'minibus' conversions. There's a muted plan (now) to use a converted 101 as an access vehicle for a disabled climbing club. Fitting a rear mounted wheelchair lift is pretty easy and a side door, as you'll see, can be accommodated as to be not too frightfully daunting. I'd say, in rural areas, a 101 would make a smashing school vehicle, Agustin - go and buy one, I'll send you a 101 club membership application :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

On or around Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:55:46 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

nah, I'll stick with the 110 for now. If I win some money somewhere, I'd think again...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 23:55:46 +0100, Mother made me spill my meths by writing:

I still need a spare 101FC club sticker to put on the RAV4 while Our Lass isn't looking...

Reply to
Wayne Davies