Re: New to a Freelander TD4 Auto

Hi all > > I've just bought a used Freebie Auto. Very pleased with auto box, > especialy the ability to use the steptronic when the mood takes me. > Just one question. Should I get engine braking when in auto? It tends > to let the revs drop off to tickover when I release the accelerator. > > Also, anyone got a solution how to stop the dash console reflecting in > the wind screen when the sun shines on it. If it was black I don't > suppose it would, but its a light colour. Pinting it springs to mind, > but that seems a bit of a 'bodge' solution. > > Lofty

I've had 2 brand new TD4 autos since last October (I'm not flush but LR dealer replaced my first one after 3 months due to failure of the auto box). I'm still getting around to figuring out the way engine braking is provided but the best (aka most exciting) ride I get is on a longish slow incline (say 1:12) at around 40 mph where, with throttle off, the engine revs drop then suddenly (and more predictable from my growing experience) the auto box shifts down accompanied by a sudden increase in rpm (you have to take account of the drive by wire throttle i suppose). It's quite alarming at first but once you know it's going to happen, it actually helps rather than hinders.

You could of course use the sport/steptronic mode if you need extra assistance although I'd be a bit hesitant to keep stepping back to see if the rev limiter works as intended !!

With regard to "pinting" the console, I tried that once but spilt the beer all down my jeans. try installing the optional cup-holder on the dash :o)

Rob.

Reply to
R101