Re: LT230 transfer box - rebuild help

Problem is that this WAS a good 2nd hand box 30K miles ago, but how on earth do you tell a worn xfer from a good one on the bench? I can't tell, so I have come to the conclusion its best to trust no-one but your self. I have fitted so called re-furbs before and to be honest the parts might well be made of lead. There is a strong tendancy to use non genuine parts that are just good enough to get past the garantee period.

So I decided to do the job myself. I assume from what you say that you have an very good idea what to look for when examining the parts. As for the planet gears should they be tight on their shafts or loose? And can they really be that expensive to replace, I have yet to price them up as I don't know if they need replaicng, so I have no idea. The rest of the box is just bearigs, and of course a swap over to 1.222 ratio.

Thanks for your advice. Hope someone else can add their penny-worth too as I guess lots of folk would like to do the same job as me.

Mark.

On or around Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:29:40 +0100,

enlightened

us thusly: > > >4. I want to change the ratios from 1.410 to 1.222, what bits do I need? > >5. The Land Rover workshop manual states that the collapseable tube must be > >replaced with a pre-determined length type not another collapseable tube > >type. Why? > > probably the former is unreliable. > > >6 £90 for a rebuild kit comprising of gaskets bearings and seals. Is that > >right, or is it expensive? > > > >I want to finish up with a good quiet tight box (don't we all ! ) but I > >don't want to spend a silly fortune doing it. I have had some advice from > >rebuilders mostly trying to sell me their recon boxes for £500 +vat (Why > >don't they ever quote the TRUE price you pay) and I think thats a rip off. > > TBH, my personal recommendation is that you source a low-milegae second hand > one... > > some of the problems you describe are likely to need serious engineering to > fix properly - the loose bearing probably needs the surface it fits on > metal-spraying or hard welding and re-finishing, for example, and you're apt > to find that replacement diff gears will be pricey. > > as to whether 500+vat is a rip-off, well, depends what they've done for the > money. Once advised a mate to ask what an engine reconditioner had done to > the engine he was looking at buying. So he started asking things like "has > it had new pistons" etc., and the chap listed all the stuff I'd suggested he > ask (based on my own experience of rebuilding engines) and went on to list a > whole lot more :-) > > If they do a proper recon, they'll strip it, replace anything that's > out-of-spec (or repair it) and guarantee the work, probably for 12 months > and some number of miles. That can work out pricey, especially when you > start pricing the skilled labour to do the job as well. > > -- > Austin Shackles.
my opinions are just that > "Pereant qui ante nos nostra dixerunt" > (confound the men who have made our remarks before us.) > Aelius Donatus (4th Cent.) [St. Jerome, Commentary on Ecclesiastes]
Reply to
<hales