Freelander TD4 Auto - What Next

Don't know if anyone can help with this one !

I have an MY03 Freelander which has now covered 8.5k miles from new. I'd just got off the motorway and was tootling along to work at 30 mph when I suddenly lost all power. HDC, TCS and ABS lights came on. I thought it had cut out but it gamely limped along (at the speed of the crawl on an auto box) so I could pull over. Turned it off and restarted and it was fine. Took it to the local dealer who, after the customary "takes a while to run diagnostics" bit, plugged it into the testbench and it appeared that all of the electronic sensors suddenly failed to communicate to each other - by this I assume via the ECU.

Good news says the dealer is "it only happened once". Great i replied, shove your wife and kids in it and chuck it on the motorway like I have to every day !

The question is, has anyone else had this as the dealer reckons they've never seen this before ?

I had a new camshaft sensor fitted in the summer (at c 5k miles) so have I got another dud ?

I also notice that the plastic cover over the manifold is exceptionally well-lubricated; unfortunately on the outside (and the inside of the bonnet insulation). I could accept this if I'd left the dipstick partially out, but since I noticed, I make sure the dipstick is well secured and I'm still mopping up an oil bath every time I confirm the oil level is just on min. Strange thing is, I've used less than 500ml since new.

Grateful for any help.

Reply to
R101

Don't know about engine cutting out, but the oil leak want's sorting IMO. Is it oil or diesel? Take it to your dealer and tell them to sort it!

You could tell me if you can here the cam chain rattling at around 1500 rpm thought.

Lofty

Reply to
Lofty