Replacing swivels on series I

Me again, having done the transfer box seals I want to sort out the leaky swivel seals on my series 1. I have all the bits and it seems fairly straight forward. One question I have is about the steering arms which are on the top on a series I but bottom on later series vehicles. I assume when converting a series I to Raiko bushes the steering arms remain on the top and need the splined pin pushing out and replacing with a wider pin for the raiko bush? I just wondered if they were designed to take the strain imposed by the steering effort working through them rather than the bearings on the bottom. Also how are they lubricated? The manual says use the same spec oil as the swivel I assume this is just applied to the cavity in the bush?

Thanks for any advice.

Tony Boyle

Reply to
Tony Boyle

Yes, just as you say, it will also be very tight, you will need a press, if you just try to hammer them in you will spread and damage them. There is a small pin cross drilled in the housing and also through the pin, I suppose to stop the pin turning in the housing when turning the splined tapered damper but they are so tight I wouldn't think it is necessary and certainly not with the new Railko type but they will be in the kit if you want to fit them.

I just wondered if they were designed to take the strain imposed

The bottom bearings take all the weight and the top pins are probably stronger than the originals as they are seated on a shoulder which will resist the applied shear force better.

Also how are they lubricated? The manual says use the same spec oil

I usually set the preload with the shims then lift the top pin and apply a little grease to top pin and bottom bearing before final assembly, though this is not necessary as the halfshaft U/J throws E.P 90 to the whole assembly. If you've got free wheeling hubs fitted don't forget to put them in fixed for a couple of miles every couple of weeks or so or you will be fitting new Railko bushes every year for the M.O.T test.

HTH Martin

Reply to
Oily

Thanks for that advice, I have just spotted the small hole in the raiko bush where it obviously gets lubricated. They do seem a very tight fit into the chrome swivel though, can you just push the raiko bushes into the top round hole or is some form of cunning persuasion needed? Maybe if I warm the swivel ball up a bit it will take the bush better?

Cheers

Tony

Reply to
Tony Boyle

Not just the hole, it is flooded with oil thrown round the top outer edge, inside the outer housing through the gap.

They do seem a very tight fit into the

If you remove the swivel ball from the axle to replace the large seal you can press in the Railko bush whilst you have it free of the axle, that's the best way, but you can knock it in with a suitable large socket whilst still on the axle. *Not* recommended though, they can easily be damaged. Make sure it is seated properly.

Martin.

Reply to
Oily

Last time I did the swivels, the swivels went in the oven on low and the bearing shell and bush went in the freezer, dead easy to drop them in if you work fast.

Eddie

Reply to
Corp-Rat