series disc brakes

can anyone help with this one ? I asked TIC if their disc-brake conversion would fit on my 86" series one and the reply is here Thank you for your e-mail. If SIII wheelhubs and drumbrake parts like backplate and drum fit to your axle I think our system will also fit. I have very little expeiance with SI so I am not 100% sure.

Trouble is I don`t know the answer to that question either! Help !

Reply to
bottle

Depends if their S3 brakes are 10 or 11 inch. S1 are 10 inch.

Gordon

Reply to
gordon

On or around 10 Feb 2006 02:13:30 -0800, "gordon" enlightened us thusly:

11" brakes on SIII were a later innovation, though, I think, especially SWB ones.

it's more about swivel housings, and brake plate mountings, and the like. You need a SI expert for this one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
bottle

I assume he's talking about the 11" 109" type twin leaders (or 88" from July '80)?, if so you're better with the Series 2 type 109" as the Series 3 type have bigger wheel studs and consequently the holes will be sloppy on the hubs.

Shouldn't have any trouble changing the backplates as the mountings are the same and I don't think they will foul the steering arms which come from the top on Series 1s. One thing I did on my 88" when changing to 11" brakes was to keep to the small bore master cylinder (for more braking pressure and you won't need a servo) as the fluid displacement is actually less on the two separate smaller diameter 11" type wheel cylinders than the one double piston 10" brakes with bigger diameter cylinder if you keep on top of the shoe adjustments with the pedal movement being appreciably less.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

The only real difference is whether the steering arm is "pendant" or not - I'm not sure if all Series I's are the same (I assume so), but the steering arm was on top of the swivel housing, not the bottom, so it is a possibility that something could get in the way. Early SII's were the same, so it's likely that they will know if that's a problem. Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd