Rimmer Bros sports exhaust

After much deliberation, numerous telephone calls, faxes and E-mails....most of which resulted in no information being provided by a number of companies, Rimmer were the only supplier who actually took the trouble to reply and provide information, I have decided to replace the patchwork quilt standard exhaust currently fitted with their SS sports item.

Any one using one of these units? Any issues with regards instalation etc?

Any comments would be gratefully received.

AlunP RR Classic, 1991, 3.9 auto

Reply to
Alun P

Any one using one of these units? Any issues with regards instalation etc?

I fitted one of their stainless systems on my Defender 130 ambulance last year, not the sports one I'm afraid though. However the one I have all fitted well with no problems, it has some surface corrosion on the pipes but that's normal.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

We fitted a full sports system to our V8 90 a couple of years ago. It didnt include the manifold fitting kit but when I phoned them they sent me one. The downpipes by the starter motor had to altered (big hammer) and the strenthening bar across the manifold where the dipstick is had to be altered. The rear section of pipe where it goes over the axle was too long and had to be shortened by about 4". The pipes now look very rusty but the silencer is very shiney! Richard

E-mails....most

Reply to
Richard

Yep, on a 101

The brackets may not fit - not a hassle.

Yes, it rocks!

Reply to
Mother

Got one on my 110V8. Fitting was a Right Pain, but now it's on, it's great. You need to tweak some bits of the manifold to clear the dipstick and on some vehicles the stupid emissions control pipes. It's also a

-very- tight fit past the starter motor. Worth the effort though once it's on.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

Got one on my 1988 RRC 3.5 V8. Total b********* to fit. The heat shielding tape is a waste of money - it seems only good for catching fluids that you inadvertently spill when topping up oil or, even worse, auto fluid thus producing clouds of smoke. Mine had a vibration, from new, that appeared only at certain revs. Rimmer were great - told me to bring the car to them and they would sort it, which I did arriving at their place at some atrocious hour. But to give them their due they did fix it - by telling me to go to the actual manufacturers of the exhaust who are, IIRC, called Falcon and are in Nottingham. They were good and changed the centre section. This didn't stop the vibration which turned out to be one of the o/s header pipes touching the inner chassis rail at

600, 1200, 1800 etc revs and making the whole car hum. Gentle persuasion with a wedge and club hammer fixed that! It was also a right b************ to remove and replace when I had to change the autobox. Equally unfriendly when the head gaskets were replaced. You're right about it being friendly WRT the starter motor, I have had to re-route the positive feed to the motor to avoid nasty cable melting excitement.

Having said that it sounds great and seems to have had no effect (either way) on the fuel consumption. My colleagues know when I am leaving or arriving at work ;-)

Oh and finding insurers who don't mind me having a Stainless Steel Sports Exhaust system is not easy. But that may not be a problem for all.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage