Roof racks

Paddocks are doing a galvanised roof-rack for Series 88" and galv access ladder for under £150 the lot. Has anyone had a look at these, and how do they compare with the Brownchurch/Patriot products? They're so cheap I am suspicious.

Any wisdom, chaps?

TIA

Rich Series 2a RR 4.6HSE Some other nonsense

Reply to
Richard Brookman

They will be heavy and agricultural like the one that came fitted to my landie, which I doubt was ever galvanised though, however they will probably do the job if you don't like things just because they are pretty.

Just how much weight can you put up there on the roof I wonder ? a lot more than the manual tells you I am sure.

-- Larry Series 3 rust and holes

Reply to
Larry

LR roofs hold plenty - I've driven from Kent to the Highlands with a 110 back body on the roof, from Surrey to the Highlands with the side of a RR and a double bath on the roof(!)

Wouldn't like to use the roof if I was going to be going to be going off road with a load though, that's when you'll really get into problems if you overload it. I'd say your more likely to have problems with a later LR than a series when it comes to loading the roof - your handling is pretty badly affected with weight up top, a series will struggle to pull the load much more which means you're forced to go slower, but a later LR has more than enough power to get you into trouble when it comes to anything other than going in a straight line.

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

The worst handling problem I ever had with any vehicle was with my sierra estate loaded to the gunwales (metaphorically speaking ) with milk cartons, and you could feel all that fluid shifting as you tried to corner.

I would suppose it is all a matter of balance, so long as you keep the centre of gravity low you are not going to tip over.