RoW and F&M

We don't breed people to eat them, we don't farm animals to provide pets.

Farming is commercially sensitive, people aim to make a living out of the profit from it.

I don't think so, the problem with using vaccine is twofold

1) vaccinated animals have the same antigens as infected animals, so differentiating them is impossible 2) you are unlikely to be able to sell vaccinated animals

Perzactly and we import a lot of meat, so once we cannot export meat we still have imports which cannot be displaced, farming is dynamic, it's not like a factory that can stop production, once an animal has reached the size for its market it cannot be held in limbo.

When the epidemic is finished, then you need to wait until the all the country's susceptible beasts no longer exhibit any antigens, by which time, in the face of imports, there will be no livestock producers left standing.

Last time there was no possibility as there wasn't the vaccine (at first).

AJH

Reply to
AJH

That's not true now apparently. There are genetic tests that are acceptable to the EU.

Again, latest word is that they WILL allow the sale of vaccinated animals.

Steve

Reply to
steve

But not necessarily to the buyers of said animals.

Again, *allowing* the sale doesn't mean you can sell them if nobody wants to buy them.

One of our main selling points at the moment is that any animal from the UK is unconditionally guaranteed to be F&M free. If we lose that, then our livestock is just like livestock from any country where the disease is endemic, so we have no commercial advantage regarding perceived quality, which means that exports (live and dead) are harder to sell & the British Consumer will no doubt go for the cheaper option of imported meat, "knowing" there's no difference in risk.

How long did it take for sales of British meat to recover last time, & how many people still avoid British beef because of BSE? You can do all the tests in the world, but people will remember that F&M & BSE were present in British meat, so why take the chance that they still might be. It's facts against perception.

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

That's right John and from what I am told the major supermarkets would not buy vaccinated animals if unvaccinated disease free animals were available.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Well someone is bringing in a hell of a lot of South American meat, and that sure as hell ain't FM free. Here we have a highly contagious, but non communicable to human disease, which has a very very low morbidity, and whose longterm consequences for the animal are a slight reduction in weight gain rates, destroying people's livelihoods because of the application of 19th century standards of animal care, when the possibility of vaccination exists. I don't see how this is a quality issue. Does it taste the same ? Steve

Reply to
steve

I agree

Prior to 2001 Argentina, Chile, Guyana and Uruguay claimed and were accepted to have FMD free status, I'm not sure since.

Actually I believe it is but it is a relatively minor illness.

Will your business stand a reduction of 10% off the bottom line?

It's not, it's a commercial decision by the buyer

How would I know? I suspect I couldn't tell the difference but steak tartare may be a bit off putting.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I was amused today to see that the two farm shops I visited early this morning were open as usual, actually out on working farms, with no precautions in evidence. On going to the local Scats store in the middle of a town however they had "Foot and Mouth Precautions" signs up all over the place and disinfectant foot baths! As I approached the door there was a woman stood in front of the door picking her lip with a worried look on her face and asking me in a confused voice "what should I do?". I was tempted to tell her to go home and hide.

I also read on I think the Times website that the people investigating the outbreak reckon it's sabotage as it's very hard for humans to spread the disease, even when they've been heavily contaminated. I think the quote ran along the lines of people having to hug and kiss the cows, mind you this is Dorset!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

There was argument about this during the last outbreak, and some heated dispute over the long-term effects of an animal having the disease.

One big problem is that the margins in the livestock business are low enough that the drop in weight gain can make the difference between profit and loss. People want cheap meat.

Also, vaccination doesn't cure the disease. It prevents infection. And it takes some time before it takes effect. So, assuming the basic Pirbright theory of where the disease came from this time, you could have vaccinated every animal in Surrey and not prevented a single case.

The vaccination option today is better than it was in 2001. It's quite possible that the secondary costs--the effects on sales--still make it a poor choice in the current situation.

Reply to
David G. Bell