Discovery roof rack

I'm looking for the full length Disco roof rack it's a lower profile than the standard and follows the contour of the roof, any ideas - I'm goggled out ! and no luck!

T.I.A.

Steve

Reply to
StaffBull

You are probably thinking of the one by Safety Devices.

have one on our 95 Discovery, I can email you a pic if you like ?Richard

Reply to
Richard

That's the one ! it's the highlander one I've seen in a hospital in Scarborough. I would need the high version for the sunroofs and roof bars.What's the damage on one of these - I'm sitting down - looking at the construction it aint going to be cheap!!

If you have this version I would really appreciate a pic. Cheers, Steve

Reply to
StaffBull

have sent you an email, I think !!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

could you send it again - I have just changed my Domain hosting and forgot to set up the e mail address I use for NG !! Doh done it now though, remove spamtrap and you should be OK.

Reply to
StaffBull

have sent it again

Reply to
Richard

You won't see much change from £600.

I had a very simliar Bettaweld one, which now graces Mr Brown's roof. It was rather cheaper as a secondhand purchase on ebay. I then got most of my money back when I punted it on.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

And a very nice roofrack it is.

The only major difference between the Bettaweld and the highlander is that the highlander has its supports aligned with the pillars on the car so that (in theory) it transmits stresses straight to the structural bits of the car.

As I say, nice roofrack, and a nice chap sold it to me.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Is there a site that sells the bettaweld one -and is there a picture of it ?

Reply to
StaffBull

Bettaweld themselves went out of business a long while ago, however these racks come up on eBay and places occasionally.

The rack you can see on:

Is the Bettaweld one I bought from Tim.

Paul

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

I like the pictures of the wall!!! ;~)

On another note Paul, did you find out what caused the lasck of oil on the S3 you sold me? Was it a leaking halfshaft oilseal? One of the rear wheels has a bit of oil on it & wondered if thats what it was?

Did you check any of the other levels?

I'm about to start tidying it up a bit.

Ta

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige

Seemed to be the diff case oilseal - there was a lot of seepage around that. I fixed it as best I could, but don't know how good my fix actually was - didn't seem to be leaking when I checked it last.

As for other levels - only the engine oil and water. I did redo the grease on the propshaft UJs and splines though.

The oil on the wheel, if it looks recent may be an issue, however I piddled a fair amount of oil on them myself when I drew the halfshafts to change the diff.

I'd check all of the levels if I were you, including the rear diff. I did notice that the gearbox drain had a bit of seepage - decidedly soggy plug. I suspect somebody had done a fluid change and not done the bung back up properly.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Paul S. Brown composed the following ...

Sorry to butt in and 'hi-jack' the thread ... but ...

Could you do a list of the mods you've done to the underside of the Disco in those pics?

Seems like it's lifted an inch or more with different springs and shocks, with a Diff slider (dunno whose but it looks substantial), Jate rings and Steering guard (dunno whos).

Have you also cut the rear wheel valance to fit the larger tyres? If so where did you get the dimensions from or template, or did you just cut'npray ? :)

I'm not worried about the winch bumpers, snorkels and stuff, but I do want to raise mine a tad (31 x 105 BFG AT's at the mo, but want MT's) and yours looks exactly like the mods I'm considering. Nothing too radical but which should make it much more off-roadable without being a full-on mudplugger as we still need to tow a caravan a lot during summer. (Second set of wheels / tyres we think)

Cheers.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Well, It's not leaking now!

It's not recent, so is more than likely what you piddled!

Cheers, will do.

Ta

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (The Bitch)

Series 3 Landrover 88" (Albert)

"If you tolerate this then your children will be next"

Reply to
Nige

Take a look at:

Basically, the suspension is a Scorpion Racing E2 2" lift kit with De Carbon gas shocks. The diff slider is actually a QT Services one. The steering guard is a noname special I got from John Craddock.

With a 2" lift on it you can actually fit 235/70/16s without needing to cut anything - that's actually what I have on it in that picture, although it's running on 205/75/16 M&S tyres just now.

There's also a no-name generic diffguard on the front diff - just enough to protect it from dents.

Hope that helps

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

235/70 is standard fit for most later Discos, so you don't need the 2" lift for that.

AIUI you need a 2" lift and some trimming to fit 235/85. Whenever I offroaded my Disco the problem was always following Defenders, as it just bellied out in their ruts.

I'm always bemused by Discos that have a lifted suspension but standard tyres. You don't gain any ground clearance, although ramp over and approach angles are slightly improved I suppose.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Cheers. I've seen all the bits, obviously, but it's nice to see and hear of them actually on a Disco that's used, IYSWIM .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Tim Hobbs composed the following ...

We have larger tyres already, but I want a more aggressive tread, and as they already scrape the rear valance I thought a lift kit and judicious 'pruning' might be in order .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Can a 2" lift be added without having to mod other stuff like brake lines/training arms etc ? (to a Discovery)

Reply to
StaffBull

In theory, yes.

You'll have to mod the shocks otherwise you stand a chance of them going to maximum extension with the springs still having some travel left.

I changed the flexi lines for slightly longer braided steel ones at fairly low cost (£48 for the set) just for the peace of mind.

No mods actually needed to the trailing arms/radius arms although some people go for castor corrected radius arms at the front - I haven't found this to be too much bother though.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown