Find a few at: ZA-LRO mailing list

snipped-for-privacy@land-rover.team.net

Sean

Reply to
Landynut

Interesting... thanks

Reply to
Niamh Holding

On or around Thu, 19 May 2005 20:35:54 +1000, JD enlightened us thusly:

besides, UL has more benzene, or so I understand, which is, I believe, carcinogenic (BICBW) and certainly very nasty, such that its use in industry is hedged around with many precuations.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

And it stops a catalyst from working properly....

What agent goes into unleaded to replace the lead, and is it any less harmful?

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Fri, 20 May 2005 17:05:46 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

I dunno, but I gather it has more benzene. The anti-knock properties of TEL aren't present in UL (or not so much), hence the need to retard the ignition to stop it pinking.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

As it is an imported vehicle, and therefore not meeting UK type approval, I'd be surprised if it had to pass a UK "cat-test", I'd bet that the required emissions level for it would be higher (due to its imported status), and if it still can't pass then the answer is to sort the engine to reduce the emissions, not strangle it into passing artificially by fitting a cat. Spend the customer's dosh wisely, fix the crappy emissions and everyone ought to be happy. Check the mot testers manual, or even talk to your nearest VOSA people, for a definitive answer, don't just trust the word of a garage. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

be surprised if it had to pass

higher (due to its imported

reduce the emissions, not

dosh wisely, fix the crappy

even talk to your nearest VOSA

The MOT manual states "PERSONAL IMPORTS the vehicle will be tested according to its age from first use The only exemption to this is if the vehicle owner can present to the tester at time of test a letter from the vehicle manufacturer stating that the particular engine as originally installed could not meet the equivalent British emission standards. If this is the case, then test to the next lower emission standard" so it would be tested based on the year

there are however a few other ways around this But first a few questions what year is it? is it a station wagon? how many seats does it have ? what is the maximum gross vehicle weight?

let me know and I'll see what I can dig up

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Thanks for that info Andy, I thought there'd be a workaround somehow, although it'd rely on Landrover issuing a letter stating the emissions in the vehicle's original market. I'd be interested to hear how this one pans out. BTW, I'm led to believe that there's a para in the same manual stating something about testing according to the age of the engine if it's a replacement and is older than the vehicle it's now fitted to? In other words, a 1972 P6 3.5V8 fitted to a 1999 discovery would only get a visual smoke test, for example, as long as you could prove (from its number?) the age of the engine!

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

AIUI, Nick Kerner normally do the engine servicing, and sometimes the vehicle goes back to Rogers of Bedford where it was bought. I guess neither could come up with a solution though I won't actually see the lady concerned to ask for a couple of weeks.

As I think I mentioned back at the start this is not an engine with which we have any experience. OTOH the rest of the vehicle we are quite familiar with

Reply to
Niamh Holding

Right we've finally got the vehicle in and despite what the owner said there are a pair of BMW badge cats sitting there!

Now to source some...

Reply to
Niamh Holding