Safari snorkel Top - which way?

You can see it on any motorway if you are in a van or Land Rover. Everyone is too close (you have to be to stop the undertakers), so as the delay due to reaction time builds up as each driver has to brake a little more sharply eventually the inevitable happens......

Mind you, if you are in the aformentioned van or Landie with cars only in front and you are keeping an eye on the traffic flow as far ahead as you can (that must at least ½ mile in anything but pretty poor conditions) then you get *plenty* of warning and you can ease off without even using the brakes - though any gap you leave will be immediately filled by something of German manufacture..

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:51:43 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

'zackly. I satisfied myself that an alert driver in a reasonable car would be safe enough with a time-gap of 1 second, but that for more than few cars in a row it doesn't work. The 2-second rule (which has got to be the best and simplest road safety rule ever) allows enough space even for a long queue. 2 seconds is approximately 1 yard gap for every MPH, so 50 yards at

50, for example. 1 second is of course only half a yard per MPH (60 mph = 88 fps, which is as close as dammit to 90 fps), which is 25 yards at 50 and for any vaguely sensible driver that feels too close for long-term use.

ah, yes, the people who watch more than the car in front spoil the arithmetic by braking early. Luckily, since if they didn't there'd be even more collisions.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This sort of conversation reminds me that there are different situations in different parts of the world. On Monday I drove 60km each way into town to do my shopping. Except for the last 5km or so into town I saw two other vehicles going the same direction, and one going the other - which makes this sort of calculation sound very academic. (and it was morning peak when I arrived in town - I actually had to wait for two cars on the first roundabout, and a whole row had to wait for me) JD

Reply to
JD

Of course you also have to be able to stop whilst leaving enough space for the guy following in the white van who needs extra time to finish his text message, put his sandwich down and turn the telly off.

Memorable occasion being about a year ago when I had time to almost stop, check mirror, see white van approaching at Mach 1 in a plume of tyre smoke, check wing mirror, pull into middle lane the remaining momentum and watch white van impale car that had been front of me. Total time - about 2 seconds I'd guess....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Scary, that must have got your adrenaline flowing! Good reactions, though!

Pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom