SIII 109 Tyre Options

Hi,

I have a 109" SIII Station Wagon, and it is on standard rims and 7.50-16 tyres. I need to change the full set, as the old ones are cracking.

Does any one know what metric equivalent tyres would be OK to replace my

7.50-16?

Also, would the original Discovery Steel wheels be suitable for my LR.

Many Thanks

Andy

1981 SIII 109 Station Wagon "Larry"
Reply to
Andy

Personally I'd stick with 750x16 - there are loads of makes to choose from. If not, 235x85x16 is the nearest - about the same rolling radius as a typical 750x16 but a bit wider, so expect heavier steering.

ISTR they don't fit but don't quote me on that!

Julian.

Reply to
Exit

Stick with 7.50x16 Radials, plenty of manufacturers make them, why go metric?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

As stated by others in this thread 235 85 16s are about the same size but

7.50 16s are readily available.

Yes. If you're regularly loading your vehicle to the max and towing max loads then I'd think twice as I recall something in the back of my mind about something to do with their loading capacity. I use them on 110s and have no problems so can't see any problems with a 109.

regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
William MacLeod

There is no good reason not to stick to 7.50-16. I believe the steel discovery wheels will fit, but be warned that their load rating is inadequate for the fully loaded mass of the 109. This may cause problems if you use it fully loaded, and may also have implications for your insurance. JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Sat, 29 May 2004 21:16:38 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

stud pattern is the same, they probably have more offset and thus will foul the springs, or something. in any case, they'd make the wheel track narrower.

You can always get spacers, of course :-)

Tyre-wise, wot he said. 7.50R16 (definitely wouldn't put crossplies on meself) or 235/85R16.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thank you All for your kind advice. I was offered a set of Disco wheels, and also a set of metric tyres, and was not sure if it was worth the risk. Think I will stick with the 7.50x16 Radials.

Best Regards

Andy

Reply to
Andy