spare wheel carriers

I'm concerned about the weight my spare 265x16 BFG is putting on the rear door of my 300Tdi Defender and am considering one of the "open with door" carriers. Does anyone have any comment on the cheaper (circa £120 versions) compared with the more expensive "anti rattle" versions costing around £200. I accept you get what you pay for, but maybe the rattling of the cheaper versions is "get roundable" with small modifications using bits of rubber etc? I would be pleased to hear any views before I decide to buy.

Thankyou

Reply to
larry90

In message , larry90 writes

I have the Mantec one. It doesn't rattle, but it does squeak as you open and close it. I suspect that his due to slight misalignment. Installation is fine if you have the standard holes in your rear cross member - for rear grab handle.

On my previous 90 I had a cheaper version. Although it was a swing-away it had to be opened and closed independently. It rattled although that was probably as much the fault of the door catch - half height door.

Reply to
hugh

I had a Bearmach one. Doesn't rattle and opens with the door, less expensive than Mantec.

Worked fine, only reservation was the paint (one thin layer straight on without primer).

pieter

Reply to
Pieter Vroom