Spares on the roof

Has anyone ever tried to put one back up there ? it was bad enough taking it down, but getting it back on top required some ingenuity being as I am not Arnold Schwarzanegger.

I guess in spite of the disadvantages to the rear door hinges I will get a kit to mount it there, can't afford them fancy rigs so the hinges are going to have to take the strain :(

Reply to
Larry

We put a third hinge on our S3 rear door .. it _does_ help a lot .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx
Ôhe swingaway spare wheel carrier that OFFROADSOLUTIONS
makes is very easy to install and looks 100% bulletproof and excellent made. Comes with full detailed instructions and a full set of stainless steel bolts, nuts and washers. I just bought four of them for fellow club members and they are extremely satisfied with what they paid for

130 pounds including VAT.

No connection with them but I may end up representing them for the area of Greece. Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Twas Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:28:23 +0100 when "Larry" put finger to keyboard producing:

Mine was on the roof for a while, though it's now on the bonnet. I found the method to be a clean lift onto the bonnet, then a clean lift from the bonnet to the roof, then roll it to where you want it. I never found it a problem.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I have no intention of spending that amount of money purely for the convenience of sparing the hinges, unless I can find a second hand one, looks like it will have to stay on the roof for now.

Reply to
Larry

Never thought of doing it that way, I looped a webbing strap around it to keep it in place as I lifted it up in stages while standing on the load area. I got it down the same way, lowering it on a webbing luggage strap.

Reply to
Larry

In message , Mr. Nice. writes

This is a very stupid question, but is it still fairly easy to open the bonnet with the wheel on top?

I've got this old 110 van with the wheel inside on the floor and I need to keep it somewhere more sensible. The bonnet looks as though someone has held a dance on it and just seems to have a few jagged holes, presumably where the wheel mounting used to be. I'm even more old and decrepit than the 110, and not really sure I could even get the spare onto the bonnet safely.

I don't think the back door hinges will take it. My main use is towing a

2.5 ton boat across a field and I think anything on the back door would get in the way.

The alternative I was thinking of was to put some sort of cross brace behind the front seats and attach the spare vertically to that across the vehicle.

About 35 years ago I used to use a S1 with the spare on the roof. The height was a problem and getting the wheel up and down scared me.

I'd be interested in any views about easy mounting positions.

Reply to
Bill Holt

I figured that putting the spare on the bonnet would make it difficult to open, and considering how often you have to be under the bonnet, somewhat irksome, I would not want to be under it if it fell shut either.

Reply to
Larry

No

A bonnet with a spare attached is heavy - I'm happy enough with this setup, but my (5'4") wife is less than enamoured with it. My father (older and more decrepit than his SII) refuses to have anything to do with a bonnet mounted spare any more and has his vertically behind the front seats.

Reply to
EMB

Bill Holt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@itsound.demon.co.uk:

The MOD stick it on the outside behind the passenger door. Seems a sensible idea which I'm looking at.

Anyone know what sort of bracket is needed?

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

I would not want to be under it if it fell shut either.

Been there, done that, got the T shirt and scar a long time ago to prove it. Yes it hurts.

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

Thought of a gas strut to assist?

Reply to
QrizB

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comknujon (AN6530) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m29.aol.com:

I wondered when you'd got the bang on the head.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Twas Thu, 15 Jul 2004 20:41:16 +0100 when Bill Holt put finger to keyboard producing:

I manage fine, takes both hands but no problem at all.

I should maybe point out that I may be a little stronger than some..

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I think that because of the fibreglass roof on the Mod mobiles, there is an inside roll cage which supports the wheel.

BTW, is there any truth in the fact that they are called WOLF landrovers because they have a Wheel On Left Flank??

Joskin

Reply to
Joskin

No the crack on the skull was another time Derry