speedo is dead......

My speedo died last night, I pulled the dash off to see if the cable had come out the back but it seemed fine.

I'm going to assume that it's a cable failure somewhere so here's the questions..

1, are there any weak points where the cable most likely broke? 2, where is the other end of the cable so I can check if it's come out there? 3, are there any joins along it where it may have come loose?

1984 110 csw (diesel)

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Hi Mark

The other end is attached to the gear box behind the hand brake drum if you have an LT77 which I'm guessing. There are no other joins or joints

If you drive the vehicle with the speedo removed is the cable spinning. If it is you may be on the look out for a new speedo. If its not, my money would be on the cable snapping. They are only cheep items.

Regards

Spencer

Reply to
Spencer

As far as I know, the cables don't often snap. Its more likeley that one end or the other has rounded off. Past experience is the speedo end. Have a look as suggested if the cable is spinning whilst driving. Its also possible for the outer to become a bit stretched allowing the inner to slide further ito the gearbox drive hence not allowing enough cable at one end to bite into the drive on the speedo, regardless of the collar to prevent this. It's worth unclipping the cable from the speedo, and if its spinning but not sticking out much, pulling the inner out a little.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Warner

Twas Mon, 28 Jun 2004 14:01:59 +0100 when "Andy Warner" put finger to keyboard producing:

Thanks for the pointers guys, it is an LT77. I'll try and see if the cable spins when driving.

If it's the speedo how do I stand with the recorded mileage problems fitting a new/different one?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Some early 110s have a join in the cable near the clutch pedal, and in my case the problem was the plastic socket on the longer section had split. I don't know if this box has the same potential problem as the series box, but it probably does - the speedo drive gear is not splined but relies on the preload on the output flange nut to drive, so if this is loose, even slightly, no speedo drive. Easy to check though, disconnect the front of the rear prop shaft and if the big nut is not tight, tighten it. JD (1984 110 csw 3.9 diesel)

Reply to
JD

Twas Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:45:18 +0100 when Mr.Nice. put finger to keyboard producing:

cable removed at speedo end, no spinning. pulled the inner and it came out a long way.... hmm, going to crawl underneath and see it the gearbox end looks ok.

there seems to be a white joint under the bonner next to the clutch master cylinder...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

It's not illegal to have a speedo reading an incorrect "total" mileage, it's only illegal to falsify it. If you were to sell the vehicle and tell the purchaser that the vehicle had a new speedo at (say) 60,000 miles, you'd be fine. Always best to be honest in these things. While the vehicle is in your care, who is it harming?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Twas Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:45:18 +0100 when Mr.Nice. put finger to keyboard producing:

For the benefit of our archive.... i needed part numbers PRC5663 AND PRC5567, the two parts to the speedo cable for my RHD 1984

110 2.5 n/a diesel.

Cost of parts including vat and delivery (within uk) was £13.26

Tools needed were plyers, screwdriver and a 10mm socket and bar,

access to the gearbox end from above via middle seat, access to the engine bay from the right and behind the dash,

job took around 20 minutes and now the speedo not only works but doesn't do that irritating bouncy thing.

It turned out to be the gearbox end of the cable had tristed and sheared where it joins the pin, the cable itself snapped rather than the joint itself giving-way.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.