Posh Ted - Call for Nominations

As this is firmly an a.f.l initiated adventure for poor Posh Ted, I thought it may be worth having a vote on how any dosh raised could be divvied up.

I propose the vote be in two parts:

Firstly (this thread) to solicit nominations for supported charitable organisations, followed by a VOTE thread.

So, at present the Nominations are:

MacMillan Cancer Relief Alzheimers Society Children in Need Cancer Research UK

If the list doesn't really grow, we could agree to support ALL of these, therefore, no vote would be necessary.

Thoughts please... :-)

Reply to
Mother

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mother at "@ {mother} @"@101fc.net wrote on 4/3/04 14:20:

All of them are worthy causes.

Reply to
Rory Manton

With all due respect and as a Foster Parent with first hand experience, there are many, many children in our own country that need as much help as any child abroad.

Don't get me wrong, I fully respect the work people do for 3rd world countries and I'm not knocking it, I just believe we should first think of the children in this country that also need help.

Reply to
Tony Boom

It might be an option to save Children in Need for some sort of special event, perhaps a Posh Ted relay between well-known TV studios, or connecting more local LR-user fund-raising. After all, they do have Pudsey Bear already.

And Edinburgh-to-London by way of Tixover and a few like places could make good TV.

Reply to
David G. Bell

All are worthy causes, but I'd also nominate Plan International. We sponsor a child through them - they support children & communities around the third world with community projects such as supporting schools, digging wells, and so on. Our child is in Burkina Faso but they operate worldwide. They also have a good record for diverting large amounts of funding into projects and small amounts into administration and overheads.

Seeing as most of us would love to drive our Land Rovers round some of these countries, there is a rather tenuous link!

David

Reply to
David French

Twas Thu, 4 Mar 2004 16:39:44 +0100 when Tony Boom put finger to keyboard producing:

I agree that the benefits from this should be used nationally within the UK. I've done alot of work in the past for children in Bosnia and such but must admit that there is great need in the Uk also. These are 'our' children after all.

However Macmillan will be getting my vote.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Tony Luckwill defence fund?

Nah, maybe not.

Reply to
John Page

Well, let's not get into an argument over good causes, but my opinion is that the vast amount of poverty, suffering, disease & neglect in the third world outweighs the problem we have over here. I'm not saying there are not worthy children in the UK - there clearly are - but the scale of the problem in places like Africa and Central America is on a different level altogether. The "western" world's foreign policies tend not to be helping the situation.

For example, 197 out of every 1000 children in Burkina Faso die before their

5th birthday - vs 7 in UK. That's 28x the child mortality rate we have here. Can you imagine if one fifth of the children of people in this NG had died before 5? 37% of under 5s have "moderate to severe" stunting through malnutrition; the amount here isn't measurable. (All Unicef figures for 2003.) It's a different world out there. If you don't like the use of statistics, take a look at some of the web resources.

I see things the other way - great if we can help local causes but let's look out a little further to the immense chaos that exists just out of sight. We have a structure in place here to help out - charities, media, welfare, support agencies, good people like yourself - but a lot of the world has nothing.

I'd also suggest that £100 goes a heck of a lot further in Burkina Faso than it does in Bristol or Birmingham. I'm not trying to force my opinion on anybody here, but I wouldn't want it to be overlooked!

David

Reply to
David French

Twas Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:18:04 -0000 when "David French" put finger to keyboard producing:

That number hits me hard as we have 5 children.

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Twas Thu, 04 Mar 2004 14:20:07 +0000 when Mother put finger to keyboard producing:

Before we decide where the money goes have we had many suggestions on where it's going to come from?

How about asking all the LR dealerships en-route to have a whip-round for a week or two?

-- Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.) ___________________________________________________________ "To know the character of a man, give him anonymity" - Mr.Nice.

mrniceATmrnice.me.uk
110 CSW 2.5(na)D___________________________________________________________

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Good idea, but we'd have to publicise it well in the mags & through writing to the dealers beforehand. The more publicity we could get, the more money we'd raise. Anybody volunteer to do this part - it's probably one of the hardest bits!

David French

just a thought is anyone going on the Longest Land Rover Procession in April? if so perhaps we could line up together with A.F.L stickers and Posh Ted info may generate a bit of interest

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Andy,

As mud-club will be doing to "netty" bit *and* we have a stand at the longest procession thingy.....I'm sure we could sell stickers and clothing to promote the "event".

Neil

- Fun, Friendly and Free!

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

On or around Thu, 04 Mar 2004 17:09:21 GMT, "John Page" enlightened us thusly:

you owe me a keyboard.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

PML - and you can pay my dry cleaning bill...

Reply to
Mother

On or around Thu, 4 Mar 2004 18:50:38 -0000, "Paul - xxx" enlightened us thusly:

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yep I'd like including in the tour please.. North Staffordshire comuting which ever way....

suppose the next stage is working out where Posh Ted Needs to be on key dates and trying to cover as much ground in between.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

in article O2O1c.509$re1.449@newsfe1-win, Lee_D at snipped-for-privacy@histerminalhat.freeservecoat.co.uk wrote on 4/3/04

10:28 pm:

Depending on when it starts we'll be in Devon from the 10th to the 17th April, so could deliver him somewhere en route back to Leicester. Can also have him to visit a bit later on in his travels.

Mentioned all of this to Bruce and he says is anyone going to try and get something in the various Land Rover mags. He also said its the sort of thing that our local paper likes.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Twas Fri, 05 Mar 2004 09:25:43 +0000 when Nikki Cluley put finger to keyboard producing:

many local papers will be interested in this.

I'm not sure we can get this organised by april though...

however I'll be covering east cornwall and as much of devon as needed, If I could pass to you in devon it'd free me up to cover more, maybe all, of cornwall, get us off to a great start. Though I think we may be heading to wales after devon, dorset, somerset.

someone please organise this!?!?!?!?!?