strange request - information please

Hi, I have been booked to entertain guests in a couple of weeks time with strolling magic at a local landrover dealership for the the launch of the Freelander 2. I am trying to develop a couple of effects that will help promote the launch of this vehicle. Unfortunately i am as knowledgable about cars and other vehicles as i am about brain surgery! What i would like to know is what/who are the main rivals to the freelander

2? With this information i could build a routine by finding out what the freelander has over the others. Any other ideas anyone may have, i would be most grateful.

Heres hoping someone can help

cheers Paul

Reply to
cigamps

"cigamps" wrote

Main rival is the BMW X3 (latest ones pretty good too) and the Honda CRV (also good and cheaper too) but most large manufacturers are getting a rival ready for production soon.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

There's a whole list of "competetors" - the "little" Jeep, small Mitsubishi thing (Pinini?), Kia something or other, Renault Meganne

4x4 version (no, seriously, Renault anounced they were going to show Land Rover how the Discovery should have been done!), the Ford something-that-looks-remakably-like-a-Freelander I etc etc.

Seriously though - if the dealership doesn't have that info to hand, how the hell do they expect to answer customers questions sensibly? Not very impressive......

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"beamendsltd" wrote after Bob Hobden wrote in reply to..

Most of those are significantly cheaper than the Freelander is now it's moved up market* and my understanding is that it was the BMW X3 (£28560 -£38175) and cheaper Honda CRV (£18075 - £23450) that were used as benchmarks by LR. Certainly have been by Autocar.

  • leaving a gap for something in the Suzuki Justy mould perhaps?

Quite! Or perhaps "cigamps" didn't ask them.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I'm not sure how the X3 and CRV are in the same category at all, but there we go. Still, it's good to see LR pushing the Discovery into an ever tighter corner! I'm affraid this constant "upmarketing" of models is beyond me.

oh dear.... a baby Defender? Or a RAV 4.....

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Well how many Freelanders do you see with muddy tyres, very rare, don't ever remember seeing one around here, most are never off-roaded other than parking on a curb. With the new one costing about £28,000 it's even more unlikely. So yes, it is a direct competitor for the X3 and CRV soft-roaders.

I've seen sketches in the press of a possible cheaper smaller Defender looking "young persons" vehicle in the Suzy Justy vein based on a small Ford platform. Personally I think if it didn't have good off road performance it would damage the brand and doing a down market vehicle might also now everything is up-market (except the Defender). So your comment about a Rav4 might just be right.

The new Freelander will spawn a new Volvo 4x4 too btw.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

" What i would like to know is what/who are the main rivals to the freelander

2? With this information i could build a routine by finding out what the freelander has over the others. Any other ideas anyone may have, i would be most grateful.

Heres hoping someone can help

cheers Paul

NP have a look at

should give you some food for thought

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Thanks Richard, as for your last comment i have not yet approached them as i thought it would look much more professional if i had done some of my own (or others on this NG!!) research first.

thanx again

Reply to
cigamps