Stuck Nuts!!! Engine to gearbox

HI

I'm taking the engine out the disco (300tdi) to fix a output shaft seal and inspect the clutch. Everything has really well but i've spent the last to afternoons trying to undo the nuts the hold the engine gearbox together! I have got all of them to move now but the top middle one ( mosy awkward) is not budging! Any suggestions?

Tried WD40, even applied a bit of heat on with a mini gas burner but it aint coming and is now starting to chew the corners!

Any ideas? If i cant budge it i need a plan B,C,D etc Could i remove the center consol and drill a hole through the bulkhead? If i disconnect the gearbox mounts and propshafts would i get enough room to reach it then by pulled the engine and gearbox together?

desperate Mark

Reply to
Jinx

This probably won't work on a 300TDi Disco (the tunnel is probably in the way) but if it were a Defender and I were in your position I'd use a Hex socket (for example one from an impact wrench set, not a 12 pointed socket if the nut has already started to round) and a torque wrench + suitable length extension, this should give some decent leverage.

I've never found that belhousing nuts have been difficult to undo & I usually use a ring spanner on these nuts and have never had a problem, if access is very awkward maybe a hex ring spanner would do the job, although ones that big are a bit rare, my local farmer has a good set when I really get stuck.

Good luck with it, Fergus

Reply to
fergus.kendall

On or around Tue, 30 Nov 2004 16:54:50 +0000 (UTC), "Jinx" enlightened us thusly:

undo the gearbox stuff, pull the engine and box as a unit. Make sure you have an engine hoist with at least 1/2 ton capacity at the length you need to use, and suitably strong chains or thick ropes to support it from the hook.

Much easier to get at it all, and this will give you the best chance of shifting the offending bolt. Use a single-hex socket as someone else said, and a big shifting bar. Make sure the socket's properly seated on the bolt head.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks for the replies i've had the day off from it today to gather my strength again!

Going get a heat gun from Machine mart and try carefully to heat the little bugger up! then give ti one more go with the HEX socket . If this doesnt work then i think i'll have to release both gearbox and engine to gain better access to aleast allow me to cut it off with a dremel!

Ta MArk

Reply to
Jinx

"Jinx" scribbled with crayon on 01 Dec 2004 the mote news:cokpnc$gpi$ snipped-for-privacy@titan.btinternet.com:

Nut Spltter? If you can get it that is.

Reply to
Bigbluey

Torque wrenches are NOT there to provide leverage!!!!!!

Use a breaker bar.

Reply to
SimonJ

On or around Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:22:03 GMT, Bigbluey enlightened us thusly:

It's almost certainly a bolt.

Reply to
Austin Shackles