Defender TD5 90 Load

Does anyone have the load limits on a TD5 defender 90 Station Wagon. I want to check that it is reasonable to load a 450-500 kg engine in the back and drive it half way across Europe.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David

For a 300Tdi 90 CSW, my book says: 649Kg for Standard (2400) suspension 795Kg for High load (2550) suspension

It doesn't cover the TD5 version.

Joskin

Reply to
Joskin

On or around Thu, 7 May 2009 17:17:06 +0100, "Joskin" enlightened us thusly:

It won't be far off the same though.

Is it in RAVE? If no-one has the definitive answer later on I'll have a look.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

It'll be here if you can be bothered to look:

Unfortunately they don't give the standard unladen axle load figures (as far as I can see) and most of this additional load will fall on the rear axle. The axle load limits are there.

As Austin says, the figures will not have changed much over the years.

Reply to
Dougal

Thanks everyone.

Yes, thats the problem, finding the unladed rear axle load. But whatever you put in a 90 ends up over the rear axle.

David

Reply to
David

On or around 08 May 2009 14:00:40 GMT, David enlightened us thusly:

's a fair comment, that. I assume the engine will actually fit in the 90?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 08 May 2009 14:00:40 GMT, David enlightened us thusly:

Rave says

02 MY handbook:

front axle 1200Kg rear axle 1500Kg

GVW SW 2550 GVW utility 2400

and from the 99-02 workshop manual supplement:

EEC kerb weights (UW + full tank of fuel + 75Kg): soft top, pickup: 1770kg hard top: 1815Kg SW: 1870-1885Kg

Seein' as I'm on the computer with the RAVEs installed on it right now :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This gives max payload as 661kg for a current 90 CSW (GVW - kerb weight). Bear in mind kerb weight includes full fuel tank and 75kg driver. It gives gross vehicle weight as 2400kg, front axle max 1250, rear

1500kg for std suspension. Unfortunately it doesn't give weight on rear axle at kerb weight but as you are within payload it seems a fair bet you will be Ok. Ultimately the only way to be sure is to load it up and take it to a public weighbridge.
Reply to
hugh

In message , hugh writes

But on 2nd thoughts that will not give the answer because the weigh bridge will include the weight of the wheels and tyres and the weight of the axle itself or are they included in the specification of axle weight?

Reply to
hugh

Axle weight used in the specification is the force transmitted to the ground by the two wheels of the axle in question.

It's not the just weight of the axle but the combined weight of the axle, wheels and tyres and that proportion of the vehicle and load carried by the axle in question.

So, what you weigh on the weighbridge is the axle weight.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Sun, 10 May 2009 20:37:33 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

'tis even so. However, on a 90, as you say, a fair percentage of the payload is on the back, so I reckon it'll be OK.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

You can work it out (I think) by estimating (guessing) were the centre of gravity of the engine will be then measuring the distance from that point to each axle. If the engine has a flywheel attached then the c-o-g will be towards the rear and if you put it in front first most of the weight will then be on the rear axle.

Take empty 90 to weighbridge and measure unladen axle weights first.

Reply to
hugh

I found these:

Front axle at kerb weight: 968kg Rear axle at kerb weight: 902kg

If these are anything close to being accurate (the F/R proportion sounds about right if nothing else), you've got about 600kg free on the rear axle. I think that you've got the HD suspension as standard on the SW so

1500kg axle limit available.

Remember to find some way of spreading the load if you wish to avoid spoiling your nice flat rear floor!

Reply to
Dougal

Thanks to everyone. I am sure from your inputs that it will be ok and I will make sure that I distribute any other heavy weights towards the front. All I'll have to do then is to get the bugger out of the back of the Landrover, onto the back deck of the barge and lower it in.

It seems strange that for all the clear superiority of the Landrover ranges they don't actually say what can be loaded inside.

David A Landroverer for almost 40 years.

Reply to
David

In message , David writes

We did mange to get a 90 2.5N/A diesel engine in the back using an engine hoist. Also loaded a 4.6 V8 on a pallet. Didn't weigh either of them though.

Reply to
hugh