Taken a hammer to it now

Never mind the screwdriver, I decided to get rid of all the filler that lay between the sills and the floor on the left hand side. Underneath is the rusty remains of the backing of the rubber seals. A bit stupid that the way the seals are fixed, it invites corrosion, will have to remove all those pop rivets before I replace the seals, if I ever do. I reckon there has to be a better solution somewhere than spending a lot of money on the originals that does the job just as well. Why for instance is the seal on the body, it could just as effectively be on the door and keep the weather out ? Sometimes you have to think laterally

Reply to
Larry

I think you need to view this within the overall context of the "Land Rover Philosophy". Until very recently things like 'sealing the gap in the door' were seen as frightfully wasteful, decadent even. :-)

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Besides, if you keep the water out the bugger might float...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Strangely Land Rover have taken the same view for at least 5 years... SWMBO's 1998 Defender has the bottom seal attached to the door so it must have changed sometime between 1990 and 1998 (my 1990 Defender has the seals on the body).

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

Mother" Rover Philosophy". Until very recently things like 'sealing the gap

Comfort, dry .. nah mate, this is yer typical Landie .. if yer want yer comfort buy some bloody slippers and stay at 'ome .. sniff, cough, cough, spit ... ;)

The above is an _exact_ line given when buying an S2 once .. I must admit rather cheaply though .. ;)

Reply to
Digweed .. ;)

I cant see why anyone would want to put seals at the bottom of a door anyway!.. All the water will get trapped inside!. You might aswell just let it run out.. Ive never had any bottom seals on my landy, and ive not noticed any water coming in at the bottom of the doors (except for when i got 2 or

3 inches in there while off roading, but that seems to come through the floor first!)
Reply to
Tom Woods

good point if the seals had not been there in the first place it wouldn't have rusted down there in the first place.

Reply to
Larry

Whereabouts has it gone rusty? My sills appear to be galvanised, and my floor is ally, so i have corrosion, but no rust.. Or do you just mean the rusty remains of the seal itself?, or the bulkhead?

If you're feeling extra keen, you could take the whole floor panel out. You might find lots of nasty silicon and fillery stuff down at the front of the floor, between the floor and bulkhead footwell. I removed all this from mine, as it seems to trap water and crap which makes your bulkhead rust even quicker..

Reply to
Tom Woods