td5 engine longevity

Hi

I am in the market for a second hand land rover defender. I would like to know how long a td5 engine lasts? (km's / miles)

Also can anyone give me an idea on what it would cost to rebuild the engine if need be?

Thanks

Reply to
ikb

Depends very much on how it is looked after - I have seen several reports of engines in good condition over 300,000km. I can't think of any case where an engine has needed overhauling/replacing due to excess wear - problems seem to relate to catastrophic failures due to lubrication or cooling failure - there is/was an issue with an unsecured oil pump bolt and I have heard of cases of coolant loss either through split hoses or corrosion, presumably due to incorrect coolant maintenance.

All accounts I have seen are that Td5 parts are very expensive.

JD

Reply to
JD

I've yet to heard of one "wearing out" - there have been odd failures, due almost entirely to cooling issues, and those early ones with the iffy flywheels are quite likely to be fixed or aren't going to fail by now. Despite the Saloon Bar Experts attempts to put it down (it's 100% British, so it must be crap) it is a very good engine and has suffered no more problems than any other make, in fact it's better that most.

Cylinder heads are around the £1000 mark - so cooking it is not a good idea - so far a skim has solved any problems customers have had though.

Pistons (with rings) are around £95 - a bit pricey by LR standards, but still cheap enough by general standards.

Head gaskets are about £30.00 (Elring) or £50 Genuine.

A quick look through the price lists indicates that a re-build would be roughly double that of a 300Tdi for parts.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:01:00 +0000, beamendsltd scribbled the following nonsense:

would praps be fair to say though that so far people have not managed to wear them out, so rebuilds have not yet started to happen in any great volume, unlike the older design engines, hence maybe higher price?

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Richard, do you get gaskets direct from elring? or via another supplier? (I want to get hold of elring gaskets for my car)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Probably true to some extent, though having said that almost all

300Tdi rebuilds also seem to be due to cooling problems (300Tdi must *never* be run without coolant - it seems to take about 2 mins to melt the piston crowns!), and 200Tdi to negelct (low oil mostly, no water to some extent).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Indirect I'm affraid.