td5 oil consumption

Not mine I hasten to add, but how much if any engine oil should a 36K mile td5 in a disco drink please? Pal with new (to him) one checked oil after 3K miles and found it on the lower limit. Of course he has no idea how much was in it when he got it. Cheers Graham

Reply to
Graham Bowers

My DII TD5 with 80,000 miles doesn't use any oil. Well perhaps I ought to qualify that, I don't put any more in between the 12,000 mile services, I very occasionally check it but have never found it being anywhere near lacking oil. Maybe I'll check it tomorrow, 8,000 miles since the last service.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If he doesn't know how much he started with, this is really a non-question. It could be using almost nothing, for all he knows. (If it's gone from 'full' to 'fill' in 36K miles, I'd say there was nothing to worry about.) Top it up and check it weekly, is the only sensible answer.

FWIW, mine used about half a litre between services (6000 miles).

Reply to
Rich B

I'd be changing the oil every 6000 miles - oil is cheap in comparison to engine wear.

Reply to
EMB

hehehe - top it up & check it once a week.

My td5 used no oil at all.

Reply to
Nige

Well with modern oils in modern engines and the TD5's centrifugal filter and paper jobbie. I'm happy with the manufactures 12,000 mile service interval.(*)

I checked the oil today, it is above the "low" notch but the car is not level and the dipstick side is slightly up... So at a rough guesstimate it has probably used half the oil from "full" to "low" in 8,000 miles but as I don't know where it started that really is a guesstimate. And I don't know how much oil is required to go from "low" to "full" on the dipstick, it could be a pint, it could be a gallon....

(*) I know people who buy a cars, second hand and old, and just put fuel in. They never service it, these cars run for many years doing reasonable mileages a year.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks Nige and all Graham

Reply to