TD5 Top Hose Bleeder

Blooming thing sheared off just below the cap, noticed this large wet patch on the drive on Sunday.

Got the threaded stub out and a replacement bleed screw but that doesn't really seal completely. Close examination of the top hose shows a small indentation in the squidgy bit that should seal into the under side of the bleed screw top.

Questions:

Does this modern OAT antifreeze stuff behave like the older stuff to seal tiny leaks after a while?

If not any bright ideas on how to make the bleed screw to top hose seal? I've tightened it as much as I dare without risking shearing the new one. I suspect the fitter murdered it up when he refilled the system after the recent radiator change and it failed due stress a short while(*) after.

The top hose is in good condition and messing about changing it is just asking for something else to fail after being disturbed, this is a Land Rover after all...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I nearly suggested Blue sealant but then I'm wrestling with the thought of the system slowly emptying by steam rather than a visible leak. I'd hate to be responsible for engine melt down so on this occasion I'd say new hose. If it were mine I'd be concerned it could let me down when I need it most.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

It's hardly a visible leak now... hence my query about the OAT antifreeze sealing it in a little while anyway. I'm used to vehicles that the only leak is from the fuel tank via the engine. Well until I bought a Land Rover, that does occasionally drop a bit of oil.

I can't envisage a sudden failure mode. Think of an square section O ring with a little dent in it that you can't *quite* squish out when your tighten the top, that has a groove to take the O ring, down onto it. Given time and a bit of heat it may remould itself to the underside of the top.

Topped it up today before going to Carlisle and back (50 miles) will see how it looks in the morning. Longer run due at the weekend, I'll be taking water...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Coincidentally the bleed on the 300 is looking all manky an 'orrible so I'm thinking of nipping down the plumbers merchant and get a proper brass one. Derek

Reply to
Derek

You Could Try PTFE tape the stuff that plumbers use Regards Skinty

Reply to
Skinty

It seems to have sealed itself or remoulded, which ever it is no longer weeping. B-)

Still not convinced it hasn't got a leak elsewhere though. Had to put

200ml of coollant in this morning after about 1000 miles but there may have been air in the system at the begining of that 1000 miles that has now worked it's way out. I'll just keep an eye on the level for the time being, at least there isn't a puddle underneath any more.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice