TDI engine protection

Hi All

After my second low coolant related TDI blowup in six months, I am getting the widget below (hopefully today) to help give me some early warning.

I gather Tdi's are not as prone to blowing up in other markets as they are here in SA, but this may still be of interest to some, so if anyone want's to know how it went, I can keep the group posted.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

Hi Stephen

I have one fitted to my TDi 110 after the water reservoir went south. There are a few chaps that fit them. Make sure that you go to a good mechanic, there are a lot of poephols about.

SS

Reply to
Landynut

I am having this problem as we speak. LR Cape Town puts the price tag anywhere between 18.000 and 45.000 Rand. I could scream. Uli

Reply to
Uli

And to think that it could be avoided by having a simple low coolant level sensor that would probably cost a few rand to have installed at the factory. If they can do it on a golf 1 why can't LR get it right???

Regards Fanie

Reply to
fanie

You are being ripped off, it can be done for much less. TDi head etc & LBB fitted cost me R4800!! And there engineering work required on the head.

SS

Reply to
Landynut

A low coolant mod....

Neil

Reply to
Neil Wilson

A comprehensive and _excellent_ contribution, Neil. I'll pursue this with my Defender TDi300 sometime 'down the track'.

Having had the lower radiator hose rupture on another vehicle ( which resulted in a cracked head) I've thought about a 'quicker' safeguard many times. I'd thought about a 'coolant pressure sensor' !!!...... But your solution is fine.

Thank you.

... frodo.

Reply to
frodo

btw, Johan S now has a Brazilian 2.8 TDi fitted to his vehicle. I test drove it in Dec while there on holiday. It performs really well. WARNING: The black reservoir shown in Johan's report is part of the TDi's problem. These are prone to failure. Bottle pops - no coolant - you notice something is wrong - look at the gauges - temp all the way in the red - big buck to fix:-( That's what happened to my TDi last year.

If you have a black reservoir - change it now!

Landynut

On or around Fri, 22 Apr 2005 09:16:03 +0200, "Landynut" enlightened us thusly:

we had one of those split. 's got a replacement white one now. Mind, the coolant tank is AFAICS common to all the disco Is at least.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not my design, just passing on the info, I will probably fit something like this myself to my Discovery. There was some other engine protection & warning solutions on another site - I will post the links if I locate it. Cheers.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Wilson

A couole of links from Roman Gozdzikowskis' brilliant site - this is what my Discovery aspires to !!

Cheers.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Wilson

And the 1990 Rangie VM TD...... if you install the level sensing cap then if it does pop you should get to know about it anyway. If it's not broken don't fix it. Wonder if its a heat issue as it doesn't seem to be a problem here in the UK.

Can't believe Landrover skimped on installing them for the Defenders, talk about penny pinching.

I note that the Jaguar radiator I fitted to my SIIa actually has an inbuilt water level sensor. The more the better as they are known to fail in themselves (Though my failure experience was with a Ford (Ford - Ford not Ford Landrover ;0) ) not a landrover)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 22 Apr 2005 11:07:10 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

The discos don't have 'em either.

Where else do you think I should look for slow water loss on a 300 TDi?

there's nothing obvious - the header tank has been replaced, and it recently had a new cylinder head, and also more recently a new water pump and gasket and a new "P" gasket.

Still loses a litre or so of water every day or so. Not obviously making white smoke when cold (which might indicate a head gasket), no water in the oil, no steam from the heater, no wet carpets...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I had exactly the same situation with my 110 TD5 ever since I bought it last August. One morning I topped up with the usual 1.5 litres, a few hours later the head gasket blew.

Reply to
Uli

On or around Fri, 22 Apr 2005 19:47:47 +0200, "Uli" enlightened us thusly:

I'll be bloody annoyed if it's the gasket - it recently had a new head and gasket fitted.

I guess it's the most likely option, having done most everything else.

bugger.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Such excellent stuff !!! Thanks Neil. ( I haven't the 'bickies' to do anywhere near as much, but there're some _great_ ideas to pursue !)

... frodo.

Reply to
frodo

When we had our Air con recharged the chap who did it had a IR lamp or Black light lamp ala gone in sixty seconds. He used it to check for the green stuff escaping.

Wonder if it would work on coolant???

Besides that...he should have stuck around 24 hours as the next morning there was a puddle on the drive....grrrrr!!!

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Fri, 22 Apr 2005 23:37:12 +0100, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

it's UV, AFAIK, the aircon fluid has something in it that fluoresces.

only if the coolant was fluorescent too

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Do a static pressure test. We do one a a matter of routine after working on the coolant system

Reply to
Niamh Holding

On or around Sat, 23 Apr 2005 09:08 +0100 (BST), snipped-for-privacy@4x4cymru.spamtrapped.co.uk (Niamh Holding) enlightened us thusly:

Good idea. Mind, I can't see water escaping under pressure when it's running...

I was wondering recently if it was down on power a bit - which might or might not indicate a head gasket problem.

Reply to
Austin Shackles