Theories please - gearbox oddity...

'92 Disco 200 Tdi, no idea what box, it was changed prior to purchase at

124000 miles, intergalactic mileage - 220,000 but usually runs sweet as a nut.

Today it decides to stick in 5th gear. Nothing would budge it so I had the bright idea of making my way home in low ratio at 30 mph.

After a couple of miles I became a bit of a mobile road block so pulled over to let some cars past. Checked the box again and it came out of 5th as if nothing had ever happened.

Had another 12 miles to do so gave it a really good testing and it's perfect.

Any ideas what might have happened?

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Sat, 26 Nov 2005 16:20:37 +0000 (UTC), "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

you've been rude about some minor god or other, I expect.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Ah, Austin, I was expecting you to say " They all do that Sir, it's a characteristic you know...."

:-))

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Well it was odd the other day to be sitting as a passenger in my old landie and watch someone else struggle with the gearbox. It would seem that I have a pig of a gearbox but I have got used to it. If you can't find first you have to pull away in whatever you find yourself stuck in.

Anyway I doubt you were causing a bigger tailback than I did the other day running out of petrol in the rush hour and proceding at less than 10 mph to the end until I finally conked out within sight of a petrol pump

Reply to
Larry

It sounds like a warn synchro ring sticking. I'd try changing the oil and keeping my fingers crossed.

Reply to
EMB

Thanks. The oil is changed yearly about every 20,000 miles. It was done this year around July. However, I think I'll get it done again as you suggest. It probably gets used as much in 5th as any other gear as I mainly do long trips. Thanks again. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

That being the case I'd be wondering about what sort of oil they used, and making sure when they change it again that they sye the proper stuff. If you can find out exactly what your gearbox is, one of the knowledgable residents will be along shortly to make an oil recommendation I'm sure.

Incidentally, after the oil has been changed it will take a wee while for the new oil to work it's way right through the synchros et al, so don't expect an instant miracle, rather a gradual improvement (fingers crossed and all that).

Reply to
EMB

They always use ATF. That fits with what it says in the LR manual and HBOL. Mind you, it's still behaving perfectly today.

TonyB

Reply to
TonyB