Towing service?

Anyone know of somebody in the West Midlands, who owns a Tow truck and will pick a car up for me from crewe? 80 mile round trip?

Anyone know any ideas of what to aim to pay for this? Was thinking of using my AA membership but I dont think theyd believe I'd broken down as the car has no engine!

Cheers

Ben

Reply to
Benje

Have a look on the net at transportation services, in particular any that are near to either the start or end of the trip as they will charge you less if it's local rather than at the other end of the country. Most don't come cheap. Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

My car broke down 30 miles from home, I rang a local scrap dealer who brought it back to me for £50 on the back of a trailer, and no it wasnt picked up by a 'grab'! - about half the price of what another 'recovery' firm wanted to charge. Alan.

Reply to
A.lee

Or you could rent a pickup & a car trailer

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If you have a big enough tow car you could hire a car trailer for about £25 a day.

Reply to
David Cawkwell

Suspicious-me? OP's first post here. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK

Or ring round a few recovery firms. I've had a van towed from Ferrybridge services to York for £40 by the recovery firm there.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Almost any 4x4 pickup's capable of it or any long wheelbase van. Thereagain I know my locak hire firm so it's easy for me.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Oh. Didn't know that.

So me towing a hired trailer with a V6 Vectra on the back, using a 2.3TD Carlton Estate, was probably on the wrong side of the law then? It certainly did feel very twitchy if you held the steering anything other than absolutely perfectly rigidly still, and anything a shade over 50mph.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

LOL - reminds me of the time I towed my mates cabin cruiser from the loch to his house. I used my 2.3 740 Volvo estate after his 4x4 couldn't pull it up the slipway (it was a lada niva !!!!!!) Anyway we got it out no problem, cruised down the streets to his house no problem. I was doing a max of about

40 mph. Only thing I noticed was braking for traffic lights etc, I really had to floor the pedal to get it to stop where usually a flick with your little toe would suffice. The reason he wanted it out of the water was that the keel had been grounded enough to let water into the fibreglass and the hull was full of water, so it had to be pulled out to do repairs to make the skin watertight. God knows what it weighed when we pulled it out but it was way above the plimsol line sitting on its mooring. It was still pouring water when we parked it in his drive about 6 miles from where we pulled it out. Apart from the heavy braking required, the Volvo handled it very well. This was with my '86 with 350,000 miles. I hope my "new" '91 with 76,000 does just as well.
Reply to
Stuart Gray

AstraVanMan> So me towing a hired trailer with a V6 Vectra on the AstraVanMan> back, using a 2.3TD Carlton Estate, was probably on AstraVanMan> the wrong side of the law then? It certainly did AstraVanMan> feel very twitchy if you held the steering anything AstraVanMan> other than absolutely perfectly rigidly still, and AstraVanMan> anything a shade over 50mph.

The owner's manual for the car will give the max towing weight. This will be no more than 3500kg, which allows for a Range Rover and a trailer strong enough to hold a 2 tonne car. Twitchy handling is probably down to poor balance of the trailer, but someone with a caravan can probably provide more details.

AndyC

--

- Everything you wanted to know || about the P38A Range Rover but were afraid to ask. |+-------------------------------------------------------------------------+"And everything we want to get/We download from the InternetAll we hear is/Internet Ga-Ga/Cyberspace Goo-goo" -- from "Radio Ga Ga"/"We will rock you"