transmission brake drum filling with gear oil.

Started to notice after parking on a hill. (see another thread)

I remember meeting this problem in a previous MOT. I have replaced the drive shaft seal from the back of the transfer box, but there is a half inch gap all the way round between the seal and the shaft. It would seem there is something missing. That seal is never going to seal anything.

What is missing? From looking at the Landrover green repair operations manual page 37-20 diagram 1RC163, that is exactly what I have - there is a gap there too.

What is it supposed to seal against?

Any ideas?

Reply to
Andy Richardson

'tis a 109 Series III - forgot to mention

Reply to
Andy Richardson

Your output flange (the part you are going to fit next)

johnty

Mary (88 2A) Matilda (109 III series SW)

Reply to
johnty

I'll have another look. I remember seeing a domed bit of sheet metal and wondering at the time which way it was supposed to dome. . but I also remember thinking "how's that produce a seal?". Is that the output flange?

Reply to
Andy Richardson