Tacho for Defender

Has anyone managed to fit a tacho to a 300Tdi Defender? I've done a bit of googling and it's been asked before with no solution.

I'm asking because one of the posts I found said you would need to replace the alternator to get a feed for the tacho. According to the manual I have there is a 'tachometer electrical connector' on the alternator for '96-'98 MY Defenders. The manual doesn't go on to tell you where this conector is though.

Does this connector exist and if so where is it? Also could anyone recommend a suitable tacho.

TIA

Reply to
Simon Barr

Hi Simon, I've fitted more than I can remember. There is no need to change the alternator, as the pins are already there and easilly identified. If not sure take a look at a Discovery and you'll see how the wiring goes.

The unit we used was the VDO unit, and it fitted in the same hole where the clock is. I can't remember the actual wiring, but we used the clock light and also the clock positive to power the tachometer. The tachometer is an electronic unit and is normally calibrated by VDO, based upon the diamter of your alternator pulley and crankshaft pulley, however it is possible to calibrate the unit if you have access to an alternative form of rpm measurement eg strobe, manual tachometer etc.

From memory the tachometer take off is a male spade connection whereas the other connections are all threaded, so its not hard to identify.

The VDO unit not only fits in well but the style and colouring look like it came from the factory already fitted.

Hope this helps, if you need more send me an email.

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Try contacting someone at

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Found it!

Jon

Fantastic, thanks a lot. I checked out the price of the VDO tacho the previous poster recommended, approx 79 quid, ouch!

The lowtension.com tacho kit costs 45 quid for a 300Tdi and one is on its way to me now, just ordered over the phone.

Thanks.

Reply to
Simon Barr

In message , Phillip Simpson writes